Hello, my contract will end this month and I will need to downgrade service to Internet only. Its bad enough my bill has increased by $10 due to the new price hike in fees and equipment but it will also rise much more when my contract expires. Covid has hit us hard and Im a disabled caretaker of my elderly mother, I simply can no longer afford all the services we have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I did this, for the same $ reasons. I went from a $150/m bill for Internet, Phone and rental modem with 175/10 Mbps service to 150Mbps service to $70/m without phone or modem rental, and with no contract, so my costs won't automatically increase in a year. Here's what I did:
-Replace Comcasts $14/m modem with a purchsed one (mine was $169 new, but I think you get one around $100 with some amazon searching)
-dumped $10 Comcast phone line for MagicJack Home ($40, then $3.50/, after first year, keeping same phone number)
-Call Comcast and said I wanted to reduct costs by at least 50%, no contract, and no phone or Comcast modem - and >= 100Mbps.
-They offered "Performance Internet" at $55/m, which was 100/5 speed, and Performance Internet Pro+ at $70 200/10Mbps at $70/m.
- I had already switched to purchased modem, and MagicJack when I called, and they switched the speed within a few minutes. (Did it this way so that if anything didn't work, I knew it HAD worked before the switch, make it easier to get Comcast to fix.)
-Installing the modem is pretty easy, but you might want the help of a local nerd.
-Installing MagicJack is easier, but one caveat: it only supports a SINGLE wired phone, but works fine if you have multiple cordless (NOT cell) phones attached to the wired line. It also has a feature which will ring BOTH the local phone, and a normal, existing cell phone, so you can take calls to your house when out and about, as well as the usual modern phone features.
Happy to answer other questiosn - email me at lbrock AT prosaix.com.
sounds good! I didn't even know you could get a new deal without a contract! I have a doubleplay tv/internet combo which doesnt include all the added broadcast and equipment fees. I want to ditch tv to save on the extra equipment costs and fees and just stay with Internet(Id probably need the modem rental as Im not tech savy.) I figure for tv I'll have to make do with new antennas and get stuff OTA free, unless there's a much cheaper option than what I was currently paying for.
Hi @dovegirl, thanks for reaching out here on the Xfinity forums! I completely understand where you're coming from. With everything going on, I've been looking for ways to cut down on costs and budget my finances better since everything is so unpredictable during these times. I would definitely be able to review your account with you and look for a promotion that meets your needs. Please send me a private message with your first and last name, as well as your service address so I can assist.
To send a private message, click my name "ComcastPeter", then click "send a message".
Tho it's very hard to find, Comcast does list their local prices across all products here:
- Note this does NOT list the service levels for the product (download speeds, etc.) but is better than letting them guide you into a product with no knowledge.
- Note that you can often get a discount by agreeing to a one-year commitment, BUT you need to make the price will NOT increase automaticlly after the first year.
- Note the word "promotion" normally means both a contract AND a second year rate increase, with Comcast.
- My suggestion is you work with Comcast via their online chat, so you have a record of what they did/didn't tell you. To have your own copy of the chat, you need to select all of it and copy/paste it to a text file. (Comcast does NOT send you a copy automatically, in contrast to most vendors.
thanks for the tips Ibrock!
Yeah I have a link to that list, but I kinda wish it included the different internet/tv bundles available... I know whats available depends on whether youre a new customer or not, which I just cant understand the logic behind. 😕
Thanks so much for allowing us to assist you @dovegirl here on our Community forums! I'm glad we were able to help get you repackaged on a new promotion and answer your questions and concerns. Please don't hesitate to reach out and create another post for any future account and service questions or needs!