Community Forum

changing address

New Poster

changing address

my home address and billing address are both wrong and need updating, but I cannot find where to correct. And the call never being answered by a real person.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: changing address

Please see You can't change this yourself, you need to have a Comcast rep make the change for you. If an Employee doesn't reply to your message here you'll have to keep trying to contact a phone rep at the number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or see If you decide to visit a Service Center or Xfinity Store check their hours and locations at