Community Forum

Charged an early termination fee even when moving to another address where there is no service?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Charged an early termination fee even when moving to another address where there is no service?

In September 2020 I called Xfinity to inquire about upgrading my internet service from my current 25mbps with no contract. I was offered a 150mbps service to upgrade from my 25mbps for $50/month. The rep told me it was a contract. I replied that I could not get in a contract because I was moving in a couple of months from Florida to Georgia, and the new address is not serviceable. He specifically told me that since I was moving to an address that cannot be serviced by Xfinity, "there would be no early termination fee". I asked again and he confirmed again that there would be no early termination fee. With that assurance, I agreed to go forward with the new service agreement. 

Two months later it is time for me to move and I go to my Xfinity account, try to transfer the service to the new address, and get a message saying there is no service there and I continue to cancel the service right there on the "service tranfer" website. 

Now I get a bill including a $110 early termination fee that I was assured I would not get. I call Xfinity and chedule a call back from Billing. I explain the situation to the rep that called and I am told that it must have been a misunderstanding. I've been a happy customer with Xfinity for 8-9 years at least of uninterrupted service, and now I feel I've been blatantly lied to and taken advantage of by a Xfinity rep. 

Was it a complete lie? Or should there be no early termination fee if the new address is not serviceable?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Charged an early termination fee even when moving to another address where there is no service?

If you are under a contract and you need to cancel service, you may be subject to an early termination fee (ETF).

•    If you move to a Comcast serviceable area, and transfer service, you are not charged.
  •    If you move to a Comcast serviceable area, and do not sign up for service, then the ETF would apply.
  •    If you move to a non-Comcast serviceable area, then the ETF does apply.
  •    If it is an active duty military deployment, then the ETF will be waived when you send documentation.
  •    If the account holder is deceased, the ETF will be waived upon receiving a death certificate or obituary.
  •    If you downgrade service, then the ETF will not apply.
  •    If you have a Double/Triple Play and remove all but one service, then the ETF will not apply.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!