INeedCorrectedJ's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Monday, August 3rd, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

Xfinitywifi and XFINITY (Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspots) SSIDs not being broadcast/can not connect

For over a year I have had many guests and family use the 'Xfinitywifi' and 'XFINITY' Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Guest connections with their own Xfinity login credentials in lieu of them connecting to my personal home xfinity wifi private network. Beginning mid July both of those SSID's stopped broadcasting from my XB6 Gateway. I ensured the feature was enabled (see screenshot), and even disabled and reenabled multiple times over the next few days to ensure it was flagged as 'enabled' correctly. After numerous Gateway resets and tier 1 support attempts at various workarounds 'Xfinitywifi' and 'XFINITY' SSID's just never came back. Finally, support suggested to send me the new XB7 gateway which I have now received and activated, sadly there is still Guest Wifi Network SSID's to connect to. Support says this scenario doesn't generate a ticket in their system after hours on the phone with them so they can not pass this issue on to Advanced Repair.

Can anyone here assist me with this? Now that I have family (and 2 friends) quarantining with my immediate family and I am working from home, its even more important that I let them use the isolated network with their own XFinity credentials.

Thanks in advance!

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

Have you checked via the xfinity hotspot app to identify on the map your home as a location where a hotspot SHOULD be ?  

It is theoretically possible/configurable for wifi SSIDs to be enabled but not-advertised, so they will be active and available but "invisible".   Stealth Mode.    Not sure if xfinity offers such a config or if their device could accidentally get into such a config.   But just in case of this possibility, here is in idea for a test:   

From your home and guest client devices, you can consider to try manually entering the SSID that you know should be enabled.  

Also the guest-network functionality is available for zero monthly cost on many retail wifi/router/hubs, so you may want to consider that option instead of paying a nonzero rental monthly cost for the desired functionality to be absent.    In meantime also possibly consider to ask the phone-reps to kindly reverse all charges for the failed functions you expected -  for every day the failure continues, if the function you seek is indeed a service you are guaranteed via "Service Level Agreement" for your tier/services.  

Also possibly consider  that the xfinity/XFINITY hotspot stuff is super-awesome but also super-optional:  Seems to me it can be disabled by either the customer or xfinity any time, no explanation needed(?).    

best regards !

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Great suggestion regarding the possibility of the SSID's be broadcast as a hidden network. So after your suggestion I attempted to manually connect to any hidden networks with either the name "xfinitywifi" and "XFINITY" and both failed to find any network with that SSID to connect to.

Alternatively, last year when this happened for a matter of 12 hours or so, I was able to speak with an Advanced Repair analyst at Xfinity who was able to manually "switch" the flag to this functionality on their systems and make the SSID's enabled and appear again, even though, just as it is now, it was already said to enabled by me in the Gateway Settings found at this URL:

Guest WiFi Hotspot 
https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot

Is there a possibility I could work with someone in support or advanced repair that has access to those settings on the back end who could try to enable that functionality as they did before in this situation?

Thank you for your assitance thus far!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@bald271 wrote: Have you checked via the xfinity hotspot app to identify on the map your home as a location where a hotspot SHOULD be ? ...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-hotspots says:

Will my home be shown on the hotspot location map or Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app?
We do not list customers' addresses on the hotspot location map or in the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app. ...

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Right, thank you @BruceW  I did check this on the app for good measure but I did know that Residential Xfinity WiFi Home Guest Hotspots would not be listed here, such as the case with my case. 

I want to again clarify that for over a year Xfinitywifi and XFINITY SSID's have been broadcast from my XB6 gateway and have been used by family and guests as needed, and now they are simply not being broadcast after numerous reboots, enable/disables in the settings, and now the receipt and setup of a new XB7 gateway. Thank you so much to everyone helping me with this issue!

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I also see my late night tired eyes allowed me to post some of the issue not so clearly. I have gone back in and edited the original post for clarification and to also provide a screenshot.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

And FWIW, they don't hide the SSID of the public hotspots. Why would they ? That would defeat the purpose of easy accessibility...

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Forgive me for asking what is probably a dumb question, but should I continue to wait to hear back on this here on this forum submission from someone from Comcast/Xfinity? How does this work. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Have you resolved this? The exact same thing has happened to me and I’m going crazy trying to fix it! Any help would be great!
Thanks, Dean

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Dwheat 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. 7 month old dead now being closed.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

same issue here since Jan 2021 xfinitywifi is not boradcasting and the connection is 327 feet from my house, have rebooted gateway and restored to factory defaults, unistalled and reinstalled and updated all modem drivers etc..... spent 40 + hours on phone with xfinity to no avail......cannot even connect or find ssid 250, 50 or 235 feet from a hotspot.....HELP!

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@user_7db808 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  7 month old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here