U

Thursday, April 11th, 2024 6:39 PM

Closed

Xfinity storm-ready wifi and bridge mode misleading and/or confusing marketing

I think the marketing materials for Xfinity Storm-Ready Wi-Fi are vague and/or misleading.  Having used the Unifi version of LTE backup (UniFi LTE Backup - Ubiquiti Store United States), I mistakenly thought this product would work the same - basically just stick it between modem and router, and it'd failover connection from cable to cellular in the event of a network outage.  However, upon receiving, this doesn't seem to be the case at all.  The device doesn't work at all if one is using xFi in bridge mode, and really just works as a standalone Wi-Fi if you're using the xFi Wi-Fi (I'm not, as I already have Unifi).  I'll be returning this, but wanted to post here in case anyone else runs into similar issues.  Hopefully this will save you some trouble.

1 Message

1 month ago

Just turn off bridge mode. You will just see the Xfinity default WiFi ssid but you don’t have to use it. Your mesh system or whatever WiFi router you use should still work fine. I’d recommend plugging the storm ready into the modem directly if it gets decent signal. 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@user_j2cavr wrote: Just turn off bridge mode.  

@user_shqzsp FWIW. If bridge mode is disabled, and you hang a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, you are cascading 2 routing devices which will result in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network. 

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls. It may break some applications.

The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here