U

Tuesday, July 30th, 2024 1:35 AM

Xfinity Pausing all my devices without my permission

2 or 1 week ago I upgraded to a newer router provided by comcast. everything was going smoothly until suddenly my devices were being paused, Phones, computers, Tvs 

I have read old threads about this issue and i have no fix. I have tried to contact xfinity about this and i cannot reach a live agent. i did schedule an appointment but im extremely disappointed on how hard it is to reach a live agent to talk about this issue when xfinity assistant troubleshooting did not help once so ever.

This only started happening right when i updated to the newer models of xfinity routers

and started happening after having the new router for 7-9 days

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

Perhaps a neighbor(s) is / are inadvertently connecting to your network / gateway device via the MoCA feature that's built into it. MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) is an alternate hardwired way to connect devices to a home network if ethernet cabling can not be used/run. It uses the existing coax cable wiring instead of ethernet cabling. 

If the MoCA feature is enabled, and you do not have a PoE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours, and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. 

Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a PoE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the MoCA signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have PoE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device. First, unplug the coax cable line from the jack on the gateway device. Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1    

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that PoE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH     

Or you may be able to get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. Or book a tech to come out and install one for you.

If the MoCA feature is not being used on your home network, you can put the PoE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

4 Messages

I appreciate this alot but if you don't mind me asking, how does that explain the pausing on devices? im asking out of curiosity to understand how that works

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

They are seeing your devices as being rogues on their network so they pause them because they don't know what else to do. They can't remove them. So did you try any of that stuff yet ???

4 Messages

@EG​ i did but nothing worked but thankfully I had an appointment today and hopefully it should be the end of this issue 

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

2 months ago

@user_ossyh1 Hello! Have you been able to make any progress on this? @EG provided some awesome suggestions. Have any of them helped?

4 Messages

only worked for a few minutes then it started happening again but today i have a tech visit and hopefully it fixes the issue permanently

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here