brian_6520's profile

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, July 14th, 2024 6:30 PM

Closed

Xfinity Now random disconnects Solved

I kept getting multiple random disconnections every day.  Had a technician dispatched and he indicated that it was probably the old gateway that came with the service.  When you subscribe they give you a [Edited: "Language"] gateway/modem/router for free and on your account it indicates that you own the device.  Tried replacing the modem with a Arris S33 but could only get it to work when I cloned the MAC address of my PC.  Evidently when you activate a new gateway Xfinity only lets the first MAC address that it sees during activation work.  So you either have to clone it on your router or only activate the gateway when its connected to the router.  I am now getting 192MB on a 100MB service and everything seems to work.  Most of my installation problems were due to the fact that I connected the S33 to my PC during activation.  I hope this helps someone.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

2 months ago

Thank you for the information, brian_6520! The Community appreciates a post like this one. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... Most of my installation problems were due to the fact that I connected the S33 to my PC during activation ...

That should work just fine. If you change from a direct modem-to-PC connection to a modem-router-PC connection you just need to power cycle the modem. Modems need to be reset whenever the device they are directly connected to changes, unless the new device has the same MAC as the previous device.

ETA: Note that https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/now-internet-faqs says:

Can I bring my own gateway with NOW Internet?
No, you can’t use your own equipment with NOW Internet. ...

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here