Xfinity Gateway keeps losing Internet connectivity 20-30 times a day, minimum.
I just activated my service this past Saturday, May 9th, and have not had a single day of consistent service. I've called into support at least 15 times by now, and nobody is able to do anything.
I have a powershell script running that is logging these outages with timestamps, I tell every tech I speak to that I can provide examples down to the exact second the outages are occurring and when they're ending, but nobody seems to want to actually use this information for troubleshooting and just run a generic test to my modem which they say is green. There is clearly an issue if I'm experiencing 20-30 outages *each* day on my entire network.
This is occurring on both wired and wireless devices. It happens more on the wireless devices, but still very frequently on wired. The outages last anywhere from 20 seconds up to 5 minutes was the max. Long enough to kill any connections/downloads, and disconnect me from any online games.
I've done some of my own research, so I will try to provide the information I see most commonly requested, to hopefully expedite this.
My set up is: Coax > Xfinity gateway > personal router > all devices
I connected my own personal router because I like having more control, and when I had wireless devices connected to the Xfinity gateway's WiFi I would experiencing lag spikes in online games, threw my own router in connected to that WiFi, that particular problem disappears.
I have removed my router from the equation, disconnected it from the Xfinity gateway and unplugged the power so that there was no possible interference. Wired my desktop directly to the gateway, everything else on the Xfinity WiFi.
- I would still experience the outages on all devices, wired and wireless
- On the wireless devices, I usually see the entire WiFi disappear. None of my devices can see the SSID for several minutes.
- About 20% of the times this occurs, the wired desktop can still access the Internet, but I am unable to browse to the gateway (10.0.0.1) in a web browser. I'm usually able to establish a connection via web browser about the same time the SSID finally re-appears for my wireless devices.
- The rest of the occurrances the wired desktop also loses complete connectivity, though usually for the lower end of the time frame I mentioned above.
I have tried separating the channels to have different SSID's, tried having just the single wired desktop connected and nothing else, I've done a hard power cycle (unplug the cable) and soft reset (from the browser console), factory reset, I changed IPv6 to stateless (https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dhf2t4/issues_with_network_connectivity_and_ipv6_during/), I've also moved everything back to my personal router and disabled both WiFi channels on the Xfinity gateway, nothing has made a difference.
Below are the event logs and firewall logs (I've seen posts requesting downstream/upstream/SNR, but I don't appear to have the ability to view that on my gateway, which is a TG3482G)