cmadon's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, July 17th, 2022 10:57 PM

Closed

XFi Wifi 6E not showing

When I first got my new XFi router connected my S22 Ultra connected to wifi 6E. Then dropped down to wifi 6. Is this expected behavior, or is something wrong with my gateway? 

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

2 years ago

Hey there @cmadon ! Thank you for bringing this WiFi network concern to our attention here at the Xfinity Community Forums.

May I ask what model of xFi gateway you have currently?

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityShaina​ It's an XB8. I get wifi6 fine and there's been a couple of times where I have seen it switch to wifi 6E.  But only 2 or 3 times and not for an extended period of time.  But, again, wifi 6 connects all the time.  Would there be a problem with the modem?  When I installed it there was a problem and I had to call Xfinity support and the had to reset it on their end a couple of times to get it to work.

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

@cmadon Thank you for the clarification. Devices must be WiFi 6E capable to connect to the 6GHz band available with the XB8, so if you are connecting to the 6Ghz band there should not be any issues with the device being WiFI 6E capable. I'd like to take a closer look at the equipment and network on the account to investigate this further.

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3EqVMu7

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See https://comca.st/3KQF8q9 for an example.

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Will do.  Thank you.

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

2 years ago

Normally WiFi clients control which band (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, or 6GHz) they use and which access point they connect to.  Some access points (aka access points, WiFi routers, range extenders, nodes in a mesh system, etc.) have features that try to influence or even force clients onto a particular band or access point, but usually you have to turn them on if they're available at all.  Commercial access points are most likely to have such features.  It's entirely possible your phone prefers a 5Ghz signal if it's getting a good enough connection.  5GHz has a little better range and better wall penetration than 6GHz, and the maximum speed on 6GHz isn't any better.  If you're not getting interference on 5Ghz it's actually better than 6GHz.  Either way your phone is mostly or entirely in charge of picking which one it connects to, and it sounds like 6GHz is working since your phone uses it once in a while.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here