U

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, March 18th, 2023 7:06 PM

Closed

xfi pods ethernet port

This issue has not been resolved.  Here is my original post from almost a year ago.

​Recently my xFi pods are not activating the ethernet port unless the plugged-in device is my computer.  For years I have had a NAS plugged into it and now I cannot access without first plugging in my computer and browsing the Internet.  That seems to activate the port and allows me to connect other devices.  Has there been a recent change to the pod configuration?  I have tried a couple with the same result.​

This affects any device that is plugged into the Pod except my laptop. My setup has a small Netgear switch plugged into the Pod and my printer and NAS are plugged into the switch.  This has worked fine for years.  Now the only thing that will get the Pod Ethernet port to work is to plug my laptop into the switch.  I have taken the switch out of the configuration to test the Pod port directly and still the only thing that activates it is my laptop...not the printer or the NAS.  I have also switched the Pod with another in my house...same thing.  Sure seems that something has changed somewhere in the Xfinity network equipment.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

1 year ago

After working with several Xfinity Support techs and a lengthy phone call, I was told that the 1st generation xFi pods do not support any network devices other than computers on the pod's Ethernet port.  Seems like that ought to be common tech knowledge and published in the xFi Pod FAQs, don't you think?  I spent so much time working on this only to find out it was wasted.  My workaround has been to plug my NAS, network printer, and Laptop into a desktop switch and plug that into the pod Ethernet port.  Seems the laptop wakes up the port for the other devices.  Good luck if you don't have an Ethernet port on your laptop :(

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

Thank you for providing an update, @user_9a728e. The information you provided will certainly be helpful to other customers that find themselves in the same situation. Hopefully in the future the pods will allow for other devices to be used though ethernet. Your feedback is valuable, and it does sounds like we may need to update our information to include what you have ultimately discovered. Your patience and understanding has been much appreciated. I will be closing this post, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out again. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

1 year ago

The concern is not "Community Center / Guidelines" help related. Topic moved here to the proper help section for assistance. 

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

1 year ago

Hi @user_9a728e Thanks for reaching out to our community for support with your xfi pod. 

I have a few steps I would like to go through to help resolve this for you! 

For the best signal and performance, please ensure that Pods are visible and not blocked by furniture or other large or metal objects.

If Bridge Mode is turned on, Xfinity xFi and xFi Pods will be unavailable.
Have you confirmed your equipment is still compatible? I have a link that has steps on swapping your equipment if needed at xfinity.com/equipmentupdate.
Is your Pod plugged into power outlets that are controlled by a wall switch?

Can you confirm you have the follow settings enabled:
1. Your Wi-Fi is broadcast a signal?

2. One WiFi network name and password (i.e., you cannot have a separate WiFi network name and password for your radio bands, either 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, or 2.4 GHz, 5G Hz and 6 GHz, depending on model). Your network still has all radio bands. This allows your Gateway to sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices.
3. A password to join your WiFi network (i.e., your WiFi Security Mode setting must be password-protected)

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

@XfinityKei​ 

Hi,

Thanks for responding,  To answer your questions:

1. My wifi signal is fine
  2. I only have one wifi network name and password
  3. My wifi is password protected

My wifi is not the issue.  My signal strength and coverage are fine.  The issue is with the Ethernet port on the xFi pods and I only started having this issue about a year ago.  I previous submitted this issue and it was closed without resolution.

My xFi pods are not activating the Ethernet port unless the plugged-in device is my computer.  For years I have had a NAS plugged into it and now I cannot access without first plugging in my computer and browsing the Internet.  That seems to activate the port and allows me to connect other devices.  Has there been a recent change to the pod configuration?  I have tried all my xFi pods with the same result.​​

​This affects any device that is plugged into the Pod except my laptop. My setup has a small Netgear switch plugged into the Pod and my printer and NAS are plugged into the switch.  This has worked fine for years.  Now the only thing that will get the Pod Ethernet port to work is to plug my laptop into the switch.  I have taken the switch out of the configuration to test the Pod port directly and still the only thing that activates it is my laptop...not the printer or the NAS.   Sure seems that something has changed somewhere in the Xfinity network equipment.​

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

@user_9a728e Thanks so much for responding back! I appreciate all the details! 

You should be able to use the ethernet port on the xfi pods to hardwire your gateway and or other devices. A year is too long to have this issue. We can continue to troubleshoot to see why your laptop is needed to connect before other devices.

Do you happen to have our Xfinity app installed? If not it’s free and a great way to see the overall connection status of your Xfinity devices.

Are you able to log in and check the connection status of your xfi pod for us; Is it active? If so can you confirm if there are connected devices to your xFi pod? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

Yes, I have the Xfinity App and it confirms what I have explained on this post, without my computer plugged into the ethernet port, the port is not activated.

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

The wifi signal on all my xFi pods is fine....this is only about the ethernet port.

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

Thank you for the additional details, @user_9a728e. You have been very helpful with this process. First, can you take a look at this article using this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs. Scroll all the way down to "Troubleshooting". In this article it explains exactly why you might be having a problem and what needs to be done to use the ethernet ports on the pods. After you have looked at this link, please let me know if you have questions. Our team will be on standby! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here