S

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Wednesday, August 7th, 2024 10:27 AM

Xfi Gen 2 pod v Stormready WiFi for WiFi Extender

I am planning to upgrade some Gen 1 Xfinity pods to a Gen 2 Pod. However, I noticed that the Stormready unit also operates as a WiFi extender during normal operation. I’m trying to figure out which one is a stronger Wi-Fi extender but can’t find much technical info on the Stormready unit. Can anyone assist?

I don't need a Gen 2 Xfi Pod and the Stormready unit but if the Stormready is as good or better then I think it would make sense to spend the extra money to have that instead with the battery backup. I just can't figure out which is stronger. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 month ago

Hello, @surragard. I appreciate you doing your research and reaching out to us via Forums to get a better understanding on our Gen 2 xFi pods and the Storm ready WiFi extender.

Our xFi pods do have a greater range of coverage throughout the entire home. Our WiFi extenders help extend the signal further away from your gateway. However, due to their limited range, they will not extend WiFi coverage throughout the entire home. Pods are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your internet speed tier throughout your home. Pods will not exceed the maximum provisioned speed of your Xfinity Internet tier of service.

In a laboratory setting, WiFi Boost Pods (1st Generation) and (2nd Generation) have a maximum throughput of 200 and 500 Mbps over a WiFi Connection, respectively. Other factors can affect speeds. The Storm-Ready WiFi Device can support speeds of up to 30 Mbps/7 Mbps. I hope this help answer your questions regarding these devices.

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Thank you! Sounds like the Gen 2 pod is the way to go for me!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@surragard I agree! I have a pod here in my home as well. Best decision I made as my modem is downstairs and with the xFi pod it extends that coverage upstairs and into the back rooms! I have a link where you can purchase them at https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod. Let me know if you have any issues or more questions. -Kei 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here