U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 2nd, 2021 6:46 PM

Closed

xFi Gateway (modem/router) with mesh router system

I previously had my own modem connected to a Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System (router with one satellite). I recently upgraded to the xFinity Gateway that has a built-in modem and router. I want to continue using my nighthawk mesh system. Is there a way to connect the gateway with the mesh system without enabling bridge mode, so I can continue using the xFi abilities? Currently, I have the Nighthawk mesh router connected to the gateway and there are 2 wifi signals being emitted. I would prefer to have 1 wifi network with the mesh wifi capabilities. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

You can do it but then if you hang a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network. 

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@EG Is there a way to get the Nighthawk routing system to be an AP instead of a router so that it doesn't result in a double NAT system? Or is there any way to get only 1 wifi signal to be emitted? 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

3 years ago

There should be a way to use it as just an AP. You'll need to look into the user manual or the router's user interface pages.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here