oldmanriver1's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Oldmanriver1 - absolutely! Everyone I manage to talk to is polite and understands my frustration. AFTER I CAN GET PAST THAT HORRIBLE I SEE NO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR MODEM , ARE YOU READY FOR ME TO REBOOT IT, THE TECH WILL HAVE THIS INFORMATION READY AFTER THE REBOOT. Thats maddening. Next is that xFi process. I have gone back and forth xb6 to xb7 so much. But I still hold to my testing and numbers in a previous post. The xb7 has performed for me with less distance and stability than xb6. I get high wifi6 on my s10+ when I'm in the room with the xb7. If I'm in there I CAN USE THE DESKTOP and ethernet speeds. I get 4 ports in xb7, had 2 in xb6 and added a netgear for 5 ports. Slowed some but what does adt need? I've got the xb7 working, if I didn't have a handle on entering 10.0.0.1 and setting things I'd certainly be nuts/nuttier messing with xFi.

Problem Solver

• 

847 Messages

4 years ago

I have heard this from multiple sources. Go back the XB6. 

I get 700 on my XB3 consistently. My plan is 600. I have held out switching to the XB7 and/or gig Internet until the XB7 is stable. 

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the input Tek-- after all the problems and a repairman out Monday, they found no problems. Of course they didn't. The problem is a weak modem/wifi and its auto switching channels - or failure to, and the lines bounce. Odd they didn't see anything this time but did last and just cleared it, per a call to CS. AND, I believe it was Wednesday or Thursday they dropped the circuit for some 6 hours for repairs. They posted it on my account page. Had a box to check for text updates, the text came in some 18 hours later. Since then the lines have been stable - guess they'll drop now I said that. I moved my modem, kept the xb7 as the xb6 got a red light and I couldn't beat the dead horse any more. I've been good for 4 days. If you can keep your xb6 while activating an xb7 and have time to call - give it a try. But for my experience I find that wifi6 is junk, unless you're in a room with the modem some 40 feet. If you can't see the modem, or are more than 1 wood wall away, theres only a weak signal- get a good carrier signal for your phone cuz that's all I find that works with the wifi6. The last agent I talked with said she saw my calls and I did 26 in the last 28 days.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

It has been almost 3 months now and the 5 Ghz wireless speeds/signal strength have not improved despite what appear to have been numerous firmware updates/tweaks.
On the positive side, our home wireless network has been quite reliable. 4K and HD app streaming has been without any negative incidents. And I do notice that the range on the 2.4 Ghz channel since day one has become more robust than previously enjoyed on the XB6 modem.
There are managers locally who, after great effort on my part, aided our neighborhood RF signal to the degree they were able.
Things could be a lot worse moving to the unknown of another ISP.
I am ready to give this disappointment thread a rest.

Problem Solver

• 

847 Messages

4 years ago

Here is a solution. If you have a Internet Plan below 700Mbps then call customer service and demand they send you a XB3 modem. This is is the previous generation. It is bullet proof and the 5GZ WI-FI is awesome!  I am on a 600Mbps plan and the it pulls 700 consistently and the maxiumum upload. I work in IT and I can tell you this XB3 is about as good as your are going to find. Mine is made by Arris. 

The Wi-Fi range is great! I have a propane tank monitor in my back yard under a lid for the tank and it grabs a Wi-Fi signal from this. My house has a basement, a 1st floor, and a 2nd floor. The modem is in the center of the first floor. I have full signal throughout the house and I have a decent sized home. 

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

To oldmanriver1 - i managed to settle down after the last tech visited and said nothing was wrong. Yeh, at my house but I said it was reported at a main area around me. any way - I set the names to the 2.4 and 5 to different names. Then I connect to that name and get my 5 instead of the modem deciding which to feed me. It is shorter distance no matter where I move the modem compared to the xb6. Wifi6 speed is good for about 45 feet. It sure doesn't seem to be worth the print - ITS WIFI6 AND IF IN THE SAME ROOM YOUR PHONE CAN REALLY GO FAST! like streaming music or Netflix or - what does my phone do needing that speed? Well good cuz ya lose it going into your yard! It's been working well enough for a few weeks here. Cabled to the modem speeds have been 720 to 920, wifi is 379mbps down and 39 up right now 2 rooms away from the gigabit plan and xb7.
To timmytommy - yep its frustrating getting transferred and testing. A rep said she saw i called like 26 times in 28 days - something like that and getting past that recording and reset the modem is maddening. Good luck in another service. AT&T with 25 mbps is the only alternative here. But I've been with Xfinity forever it seems and 25mbps just isn't internet.

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

4 years ago

I had an xb3 for years. It’s nowhere near as good as the xb6.

You should get the xb6

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

There was a bit of progress yesterday when the ability to measure the speed to the XB7 modem reappeared as a "new" feature on the xFi app.

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

4 years ago

Thats been there I think

Always recommend Speedtest over xfinitys own speedtests

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

They brought back the gateway speed test function through the app?

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I use that third party speedtest regularly. But to the best of my knowledge it only measures speed to a given device.
That is significantly different than the recently restored ability to measure whether your modem is consistantly receiving the proper speed tier that you have elected.
Unfortunately none of the subsequent firmware updates seem to have improved the relatively deficient 5 Ghz connection speeds (compared to the XB6) beyond the primary room where the XB7 is positioned.
There was some debate earlier whether the earlier XB7 firmware programming had the ability to maintain a stable gigabit connection from Comcast to the modem.

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

4 years ago

No i dont see it anywhere in there

Or the my account app

Thought it was in one of them

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Maybe these screen captures will help.

3 Attachments

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

4 years ago

Ah yeah there it is.
Under connect.
Scroll all the way down past connected devices.

iOS version is slightly different.

Here’s what it looks like

https://imgur.com/gallery/KY9lEaJ

I have gig service & get 240 down on that
Iphone 11 pro
Xb7
Wifi 6
Right next to router

Today on speedtest app i got 915/17
But that varies across whatever server i pick

Also i see you have a newer firmware version on the xb7

I have
CGM4331COM_4.4p7s2_PROD_sey

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the pics oldmanriver1. I wasn't aware of any changes or ability to check to the modem. Techs out checked 1100 into the modem, 2 windows 10 pc cat6 ethernet can get 875 to 940mbps as a norm. S10+ on wifi6 - I assume - is cut in half. I just got 413 down and 40 up on s10+ downstairs with xb7 upstairs- seems normal. But I agree the 5ghz is notably weaker and had to move the xb7 more central to the house and a repeater I have in a room window - I had to put a box under it so it could receive from the xb7. But its working now to its best. I find the battery life in my s10+ drops noticeably with its wifi on so at home I turn it off and use AT&T 4Glte. Good comments from others too. It gets me when I drop service and look under my account for outages it says all is good no trouble found. But look up the map of outages it shows me green and the same spot, a building by the expressway 1.5 miles from me, that I've gone to and verified there, it will show red and 1-50 or 1-500 customer down. I'll be down, they say no you aren't. But for now things are what they are, good thread..
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here