tstack's profile

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

Saturday, October 22nd, 2022 8:48 PM

Closed

XB7 and WiFi 6

Is there a setting in the XB7 modem that needs to be enabled in order to see the Little "6" with wifi icon when using say a Samsung galaxy s21 phone? I see others near me with "6" on their wifi icons.

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @tstack!

The XB7 is capable of supporting WiFi 6, and it should be enabled by default, although some drivers may need updating to utilize it. Does the S21 have the option to turn the WiFi 6 or 6e off or on? 

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

Hello No phone does not. Is there something in the XB7 Settings that need to adjusted??? 

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

@tstack The feature should be on by default, but you can always try a reboot or a factory reset if it is not showing. Be aware that a factory reset will take the device back to its original out-of-the-box configuration and therefore the network you have set up will need to be reconfigured :) 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

When you don't see the 6 it's because your phone is connecting to the 2.4 band and for some reason xfinity doesn't enable the ax protocol on the 2.4 band and blocks you from doing it so only the 5ghz band uses wifi 6 protocol same problem on my note 20 ultra and it's really annoying if you look in advanced settings you will see ax is not enabled for 2.4

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

2 years ago

This is what I was told.

Again, I apologize for the confusion, but WiFi 6E is not the same as WiFi 6. WiFi 6 corresponds to the standard 802.11ax. This standard mainly refers to the two established frequency bands for WiFi; 2.4 and 5 GHz. Products labeled WiFi 6 do not support 6 GHz. Products that support both 802.11ax and communication on the 6 GHz frequency band, may be certified as WiFi 6E by the industry association WiFi Alliance.

Although the XB7 offers WiFi6 it does not offer a 6 GHz signal. You are welcome to read more about our specific modem specifications here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides. You can also get more information about these modems directly from the manufacturer here: https://www.technicolor.com/

I hope this helps to reduce confusion. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here