U

Tuesday, April 30th, 2024 2:52 PM

Wifi/Internet cuts out multiple times throughout the day on PC at apartment

I currently live in an apartment and have been using Xfinity internet on my PC and other devices with no issues at all since November 2023. Up until last week while using my PC my internet would cut out for a few seconds and freeze my screen. Sometimes it would comeback on in time for me to stay in the game other times it would just completely close it out and have me sitting wondering what happened. This would also cut out if I was not in a game. I looked into this and thought out all variables but can't come to a conclusion on what it is. 

At first I thought it was just my PC that had this issue so I had changed out the WIFI adapter on my PC to a new one that was highly rated, but still had disconnecting issues that would last a little while. (I also want to note that I had no connectivity issues while playing late at midnight). Then I thought I was having these issues due to the high increase in Xfinity services in my area as I continued to see many technicians come in to my complex throughout the last week but was never sure of the real reason.

I then decided to go to the Xfinity store to express of concerns as I didn't have any luck with resetting the router via the app since it would still cut out through time. The representative at the store told me that there was a new XB8 router that I could use to replace my current XB7. At the time I thought this was awesome up until I found out that the XB8 would not be able to be setup due to my plan being the 500mbps. I found that out when speaking to an agent on the app and they told me that my 500mbps plan is supposed to be using the XB6 for better compatibility. I questioned that because prior to last week my internet was fine on my 500mbps plan with the XB7 that was installed by the technician back in November.

With all that happening I just headed home a bit frustrated and decided to carry my whole PC to my friends house to test if it really was my PC that was the problem. They also had Xfinity internet and I had no issues at all connecting to Wifi and playing what I usually do without the frequent wifi/internet cut outs.

Now I will be visiting the Xfinity store to express my concern as this is a bit frustrating that this Wifi issue has come up when I had no issues since Nov 2023. I hope a technician can come and do a deeper dive on my situation to see what can be done and why this may be the case. Maybe changing it to a XB6 will be better?

Official Employee

• 

657 Messages

19 days ago

user_lbp2dm Thanks for creating a post on our Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear that these connection issues popped up and nothing seems to be helping. Especially when trying to play online! I appreciate you providing the steps that you've already taken and agree that it sounds strange to swap the modem for an older model. My first thought is to check the signal health being reported by your modem, which can be done through the automated troubleshooting steps in the Xfinity app. This will detect if there is noise or distortion in the signal that could be causing interruptions. We can also check on the signal health and assist with scheduling a technician visit if needed.

2 Messages

Thanks for the response not sure what was done on Xfinity’s side but as of Wednesday morning everything has been back to running well with no wifi interruptions/disconnections while using my PC.

Official Employee

• 

657 Messages

19 days ago

That is great to hear! There may have been some issues with the lines in the area causing interference, but I'm glad that everything seems to be back to normal. If anything else comes up, please feel free to create a new post. Have a wonderful rest of your day!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here