Thanasis1's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 22nd, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

Why is my home network a static IP?

I bought a normal plan of 1gb on my home and my IP address is static I tried to restart router as people say that’s how you get another ip but nothing is working? I’ve already read that all normal users have a dynamic ip as static is unnecessary unless your a business. Can anyone help me I just want my home IP to be dynamic.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Why is my home network a static IP*

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Thanasis1 wrote:
Why is my home network a static IP*

How do you know it is truly Static from Comcast?  Are you being billed for a Static IP?  Generally, DHCP servers assign IP addresses to MAC ID's with a lease time for a duration.  Rebooting doesn't necessarily get a new IP address if your MAC ID doesn't change.  Does your router have a setting to change/spoof your MAC ID?  You could use that to cause the WAN IP to change.

Expert

• 

105.8K Messages

4 years ago

It is what is known as being *sticky* dynamic, meaning that it can change, but it is durable. It's normal. 

If you have a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection. This is really the only sure way for an end user to change it. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here