Sowens's profile

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 30th, 2024 1:42 PM

why is ethernet port is flashing on new Xfinity modem?

Traded in old Xfinity modem for a new one.  When hooking up the ethernet cable into the port on the modem with the orange stripe, the ethernet cable is flashing orange.  Why is the cable flashing orange ?  Changed the ethernet cable to a different port on the modem, and now it is flashing green.  Why is the cable flashing ?  Internet and computer are working fine.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

4 months ago

@Sowens

thanks for reaching out to us as a customer myself I always like to make sure my services is working as they should be if you went through the activation process on the awesome Xfinity app and got your services up and running where you're connected via Wi-Fi then the modem is activated correctly and your services are working than it does sound like that maybe you don't have the Ethernet cable into the wrong  port on the back of your modem.  Are you sure you have the Ethernet cable in the right port and not in the Tel port that is used for Vice services? When the Ethernet cable is connected to the right port and your services are working it should blink green blinking orange would mean that either it's in the wrong port or possibly there's an issue with your Ethernet cable can you please double check the ports and make sure it's the right port

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

4 months ago

@Sowens 

Flashing means that data is passing. It's normal. The port with the orange stripe is a 2.5 gigabit capable one. If you plug a 1 gigabit device into it, the light will be orange because a 2.5 gigabit connection has not been established. The other ports are 1 gigabit capable. When you plug a 1 gigabit device into them the light will be green indicating that a 1 gigabit connection has been established.

Green indicates that a full port speed negotiation has been established (whatever the speed capability of the particular port happens be).

Orange indicates that a full port speed negotiation has not been established (whatever the speed capability of the particular port happens to be).

(edited)

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

I tested the 2.5 gigabit port with a cat6 cable into a 1 gigabit device.  It transmitted at 100mb (fast ethernet).  When I plugged the same cable into the other ports and connected it to the same 1 gigabit device, it transmitted at 900mb+ (gigabit speed).  Something is not negotiating correctly on the 2.5 gigabit port.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  

Kathleen [Edited: Personal Information]

Pittsburgh PA

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_katm61 Thanks for meeting us here in our community. We are sorry to hear about the trouble with your Gigabit speeds, and we would like to help. Please find the best board to author your question, and post your question publicly without any personal information. This will open a ticket in our system for us to assist. We look forward to your post. Thank you! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here