acillatem's profile

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

Friday, July 28th, 2023 7:55 AM

Closed

Why is downstream light on Motorola MB8600, blinking periodically?

A few weeks ago, I guess, I noticed the blue downstream light, blinking on my MB8600 modem. I restarted it, and it stopped flashing for maybe a week or so. and then did it again. I posted something on another forum, as I couldn't log into it anymore. It was suggested to do a factory reset on it, so I could log in. So I did the factory reset, and again, it stopped flashing, for maybe a week, again.

My internet seems fine, speed tests are good, so do I just ignore it?? It hasn't done this until recently. I did notice in the event log, that are there events where it didn't record the date and time, and also it shows zero corrected or uncorrected blocks, after being online for over 9 days, which seems weird also.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

You are running high/out of spec on downstream power.  Looks like you picked up a couple of errors there in the logs too.  The signal is coming in hot off the street to your place.  It does that at one of my places too.

That can also make the motorola reboot spontaneously when the front end overloads.  It's not a desirable situation.  For cheap, you can pick up a forward path attenuator.  It knocks the downstream power down a bit without touching the upstream.  You can screw it right to the back of the motorola, or inline wherever it is convenient.

I tried to post a link but the bot ate it, so I'll try this again.  On amazon, search for "Forward path Attenuator".  The description should be PPC FPA6-54 in-Line Forward Path Attenuator 6dB 75 Ohms for DOCSIS Cable TV Box & Modem for.....  (currently around ~$11).  Maybe you can find one cheaper somewhere else.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

@acillatem 

Your post with that pic of the error log entries was marked as being "Private" by the forum software because it contains CM MAC and the CMTS MAC addresses. They are considered to be personal information. The posting of personally identifiable information is a violation of their forum guidelines. Please delete that pic only.

What you can do instead is to copy and paste all of the text (instead of using an image) but you'll need to redact all of the CM MAC and CMTS MAC addresses. The forum bot will not allow your post to be seen publically.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Ok, deleted that picture, thanks for the heads up! Will it now become public?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

Yes. Done. TY !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

@acillatem  

Question. Is there a drop amplifier on the coax cable line leading to the modem ? If so, try removing / bypassing it and see.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ There is no amplifier. Only I  thing I know of, after the pedestal, is that filter they install, inside that box, by the ground block, that I think is in case you get TV, forget what it's called......MOCA filter??

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

1 year ago

@EG Could that filter I'm referring too, cause any issues like I'm experiencing?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

Anything can malfunction of course, but if that POE filter were failing, it wouldn't make your downstream power go higher (stronger). If anything, it would make it go lower (weaker), or not be able to connect at all.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ I'm referring to the filter that Xfinity installs right at

the ground block, isn't that called a MOCA filter, or something like that?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

Yes. It's a MoCA POE (Point Of Entry) filter. I left out the acronym "MoCA" when I mentioned "POE" filter in my last post.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for that, I simply didn't know. Mine has gone a few days without the DS light blinking, so time will tell. I doubt my power levels are causing that though, because they've always been in that range, and this blinking light thing is new. That said, what's your opinion on a forward path attenuator at the modem? It's been suggested to me several times, and a few people have called it a bandaid for a larger problem. I just don't know if my power levels are off enough to warrant Xfinity making a service call,

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

As was mentioned by @flatlander3 earlier in this thread, you could try that Forward Path Attenuator for cheap and see what happens. YMMV. It may work or it may not. If you are not experiencing any connectivity problems, then if I were you, I wouldn't sweat that light.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Yeah, when it starts blinking, nothing seems different. Not that I can notice, that's for sure. I will try the attenuator, just for fun. Besides, Xfinity isn't going to be too concerned about my power levels anyway, correct? They're borderline too high, my understanding.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

If you did have a tech come out, they too may install an attenuator pad.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Ah ok. Yeah, no need for that, I'll give it a try.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

1 year ago

Well, it's been a solid week with no blinking DS light, but up until about a month ago, it had never done that, so time will tell, haha.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Awesome! Thank you for the update. Our team will circle back in a week just to make sure things are solid. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@acillatem​ 

Fingers crossed !!!

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

1 year ago

@EG  and @XfinityThomasB , for whatever it's worth, this is just after rebooting the modem, I haven't yet tried the forward path attenuator, as it sounds like there's no correlation between my borderline high power levels and the blinking DS light, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just assuming that, as my power levels have always been in that general vicinity, and the blinking DS light appeared maybe a month ago, and caught my attention. As @EG said, at this point, even if Xfinity came out, it sounds like that's all they would do is try an attenuator also, and charge me. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. The power levels don't seem to be affecting my internet experience, or if it is, it's not something I notice.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

I would be asking the same questions! In my experience the most common thing that might lead to that type of flutter is some temporary ingress. That is just some type of outside noise causing a light attenuation, overall the signal level and the flutter you experienced I feel are most likely not related. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG and @XfinityThomasB 

Switched from the Connect more/200mbps plan, to Fast/400mbps, and the modem rebooted, and speed tests showed only slightly faster than before. With Connect more, I almost always got around 240mbps, with advertised speed being 200mbps. The support chat person asked me if I had reset the modem after the reboot, after I had confirmed the new plan. I had not, so I did. Nothing changed. Then he comes back and tells me my downstream power levels are low, which they have been ever since I got Xfinity.....screenshots attached. But anyway, my opinion is, nothing changed drastically from switching from one plan to another.

Then the agent said he would send a provisioning signal to the modem, to give it the right information, because maybe it was just a hiccup with their system, but that didn't do it.

So then, FWIW, I put a 6db attentuator on the back of my modem, and power levels are much better, but speeds haven't changed. Still getting just slightly faster speeds than with the Connect More/200.

Screenshots are AFTER the 6db attenuator was put on the back of my modem. I just can't see how this can be at my end, when everything was fine with the old plan, even with the lower power levels.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

Ok, so I just tested it straight from the modem, and I'm getting the correct speeds, so something with my router is causing the issue, even though with my previous plan, I got the correct speeds, going through the same router. Not sure the solution, but it's not Xfinity. If I can't resolve this with a new router or whatever, then I will be switching back to Connect More, as it didn't have this issue with that plan, for some weird reason.

Can I simply resolve this with a better, newer router?? And this is hardwired to the router, but something is affecting the speeds.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

Netgear WNDR4300....probably 10 years old. Upon digging around very little, sounds like it just can't handle the new speeds. Easy fix, and good excuse to upgrade to Wifi 6 and all that.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

Did you try any of those things ?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

What is the exact make and model number of the router? For testing purposes, try swapping out the ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the router for another. Also, try using different ports. Try disabling the router's hardware firewall temporarily and see. If the router has a QoS (Quality of Service) feature, check to see that it is disabled. As a last resort, Try hard resetting it to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do this.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ It's a Netgear WNDR4300. I just tried another port, swapped out the ethernet cable going from the modem to the router, and unchecked the two boxes shown, from QoS in the screenshot. Maybe a few mbps faster, but nothing significant, still under 300mbps, and it's like 475 straight from the modem.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG And also, here are the 'statistics' from the internet port tab, in the router, if that means anything. I think it's just an old router that can't handle it, but I don't know.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

Yes, that router is indeed getting to be a bit long in the tooth. Perhaps it is time to upgrade it to something more modern that has more horsepower. Good luck !

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but worth trying your suggestions. It wigged out on me the other day anyway, and now a lot of them are Wifi6, as well as just better range, among other things, so yeah, time to get with the times, lol.

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG Do you have any preferences, as far as brand? I've always thought Netgear and Linksys, but ASUS was recommended to me today. It's just me and my wife, no gaming, but I just want somethng reliable, good range, and can handle my new speeds, which isn't much to ask.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 year ago

I prefer not to recommend brands of equipment, sorry. With that said, here is an excellent site for information about all things that are router !! Poke around the various sections, you can learn quite a bit !!

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view 

Contributor

• 

101 Messages

@EG​ Ok thanks! I can appreciate not recommending brands too. I think at the end of the day, they're all relatively the same, and even something with great reviews can fail, and vice versa. It can make your head spin, and I have OCD, so.........

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here