Metalbass1's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Sep 25, 2020 10:00 AM

Why is Comcast Internet UPLOAD speed so slow?

The year is almost 2021. Everyone is going online with digital devices, TV, Security Camera, video call, and remote works from home.

I ran through several issuses and slowdown for almost 3 weeks now.  I can't do any video meetings due to the SLOW UPLOAD speed 5Mbps.  The download speed is fine but the upload speed is so bad. I have to disable my security cameras whenever I have to do the remote works. THis is RIDICULOUS!!!

What is going on? Why is Comcast not increasing the upload speed espcially during CoVID-19 pandemic?

Responses

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.8K Messages

8 m ago

It's a limitation of the current DOCSIS system. There is limited bandwidth available for upstream with most setups. It takes physical changes to Comcast's cable network and newer DOCSIS versions to allow more upstream bandwidth.

EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

8 m ago

@Metalbass1 wrote:

The year is almost 2021. Everyone is going online with digital devices, TV, Security Camera, video call, and remote works from home.

I ran through several issuses and slowdown for almost 3 weeks now.  I can't do any video meetings due to the SLOW UPLOAD speed 5Mbps.  The download speed is fine but the upload speed is so bad. I have to disable my security cameras whenever I have to do the remote works. THis is RIDICULOUS!!!

What is going on? Why is Comcast not increasing the upload speed espcially during CoVID-19 pandemic?

What upload speed are you subscribed to ? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 m ago

My plan is 175Mbps and just found out 2 weeks ago the upload speed is 5Mbps.
EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

8 m ago

O/k so are you getting around 5 Mbps ? If so, you are getting what you pay for. If you need more, you can get it if you upgrade to a faster speed tier. If you upgrade to the Gigabit speed tier, you can get 35-40 up / 1000 down.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
strega7

Regular Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 m ago

For what it's worth, I have had no problems having video meetings in Zoom and Skype throughout 2020 and I'm on a 70Mbps/5Mbps plan.  The only tip I can give is that in my home, doing either Zoom or Skype on the Wi-Fi has issues, but plugging into the ethernet is rock-solid.

As for the last post, yep, everyone advertises whatever they choose to advertise, but you can find reviews and other data before signing up.  For example, here's some data on Comcast's internet plans: https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/troubleshooting/internet-checklist#wiki_3._have_you_run_a_speed_test.3F

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 m ago

How do you say they are getting what they paid for?  NEVER have I been offered a plan based on upload speed.  I probablly lost it in the details and didn't know to ask but I have never seen the upload speed mentioned anywhere when I signed up.  That said, I did increase to 300 MBPS and the upload speed doubled to 11 from around 6 but the down load stayed virtually the same.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

You already know the answer. I had Comcast back before they tried to change their name to Xfinity. They did this to try an escape from the VERY negative image that Comcast has, but no one is fooled. It's Comcast. They are hands down the worst company in the U.S., and they are sadly a monopoly in my area. I dropped them like 20 years ago because their service was awful! Then I moved to TN, and they are the only option we have. And I see they have not improved even a tiny bit, in over 20 years. They are the only company who would raise your rates in the middle of a pandemic, even though they weren't effected by it at all. My Internet only package just went up again because of their "programming" costs. But I don't get any of their "programming" so why do I have to may more? It's not like they are charging me for content. They are charging me more and more for access to content, and their access isn't even good. $70/month almost for 100mbps/6mbps. They don't even tell you on their website or mention at all that your upload speed will be 6mbps. I've been using it for 5 years almost, and it's ALWAYS been 10, which is still garbage for 2021. But now, all of a sudden, it's 6, which is just enough to slow EVERYTHING down for my job. I hate Comcast. And so does pretty much everyone. There are entire websites devoted to how awful they are. They contain profanity so I won't violate their little TOS on here and get banned. But you can figure it out. Search for things like Comcast s***s or f Comcast. Read some of the horrible reviews. 

This comment has been converted into a post

New to the Community?

Start Here