U

Wednesday, August 23rd, 2023 9:37 AM

Closed

Why don't all 4 of the ethernet ports work on the back of my router

Hi my name is Aaron and I have a new pc that takes a fast ethernet connection but only the first three ports on the back of my router work the last one marked with the orange mark doesn't work please advise on how to fix this issue

Official Employee

• 

300 Messages

1 year ago

When a device is plugged into that last port, do the lights flash inside the port? Can you tell me which gateway you have, is it a XF3, XB3, XB7, or XB8? Visuals and additional information on each gateway model are here for reference.

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

@XfinityXanadu​ That 4th port with orange mark is a 2.5 GigE port on an XB7 or XB8 modem/wireless router/eMTA rented by Xfinity.

3 Messages

@XfinityXanadu​ I have the xb7-t and no the light doesn't flash

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityXanadu wrote: "... Visuals and additional information on each gateway model are here for reference."

Where? Did you mean https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides?

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

@BruceW​ you have either an XB7 or XB8 modem (both seen in the link you shared). There should be green and orange lights that blink (right where the cord plugs in) after plugging in an ethernet cord to this port and may also have lights that will blink on the device that you are wiring to this port.

Are you plugging this 4th (orange marked) port directly into a computer? 

If so, what Operating System?

(edited)

3 Messages

Hi @XfinityXanadu I have the XB7-T and no no lights flash when I plug any device into it 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_c7ea40 since that's the 2.5 Gbps port I would power off the modem and your PC. Then plug just one PC directly to the orange port with an Ethernet cable and power your modem and PC back on. See if refreshing your connection and unplugging the other ports fixes it. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 year ago

@BruceW​ you have either an XB7 or XB8 modem ...

I have neither. I was just trying to provide a link to the information that @XfinityXanadu seemed to allude to, but did not post.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

@BruceW​ my mistake, I tagged you and not the original poster. I'm still new to using this forum and it's not the easiest to navigate. 

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

1 year ago

@user_c7ea40

you have either an XB7 or XB8 modem (both seen in the link you shared). There should be green and orange lights that blink (right where the cord plugs in) after plugging in an ethernet cord to this port and may also have lights that will blink on the device that you are wiring to this port.

Are you plugging this 4th (orange marked) port directly into a computer? 

If so, what Operating System?

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

1 year ago

@user_c7ea40 

For the Halibut. You may want to try hard resetting the gateway device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear (or use the WPS button if it doesn't have a reset button hole) for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do so.

Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here