KJSS's profile

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Wednesday, January 6th, 2021 2:00 PM

Closed

Why are 3.1 modems so expensive?

Why are 3.1 modems so expensive? My contract expires April 17th. I have 200 channels + 200 mbps internet. I have a TP-Link TC-7620 modem. I also got Linksys Velop AX 4200 3 pack on sale at bestbuy few days ago.

After my contract expires I will renegotiate. If I stay with 200mb I am fine but if I want 1gb internet I will need a 3.1 modem. Its only 20 bucks more a month so I might. However 3.1 modems are still 150+ dollars. But 3.1 came out in 2013. So why is it still so expensive?

And also my tplink modem says 680mb on the box. But according to comcast my device info it says only 370mb. Not 680. I called and they said hardwired only 370 not 680. Why half almost?

And if I jump from 200mb to 400mb then will my tplink modem will not work. Or it will just 370 so only 30 loss. I even spotted a new arris sb6190 modem 3.0 at target. It says 1.4gbps on the box but comcast says only 859mb. Why are they saying so low.

The lady on thr phone said my 370mb is hardwired and not wireless. But wired is faster than wireless is it not? So why are they saying a 1.4gb modem is only 859mb.

If my modem was really 680 and not 370 I could do the 600mb internet package and that is good enough. And then save 150 on a new modem. But if it really is only 370 I am that is not good. Is the fox wrong or are they just trying make me buy a new modem and spend more $$$.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW. You can't go by what the box / manufacturer's rating says. It's only the Comcast rating of speed compatibility that matters.

If you use a modem that doesn't conform to is rated faster than the Comcast ratings, and / or a DOCSIS 3.0 only modem for their gigabit speed tier, it will default to using a slower speed tier configuration file. That's the way that they have their system configured.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

It depends on the particular makes and model numbers. Reference here;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices#auth

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

Its a TP-Link TC-7620

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

But even if I don't get 1gb and I upgrade to say 400gb will my 3.0 modem still work? Comacst says 370mb. So will I still get 370 out 400 or will it not work because they will say I need 400 or better modem?

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Ok look it up at that link that I gave you...

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

It says good enough for my 200mb but does not say what would happen if I upgraded to 400mb. Just says wired download speed 370mb. Does not say if it would still work upto that or refuse to work at all after 370.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Click on 400 and see if it's still there.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

It says incompatible. But it might still work at upto 370. Anybody else have any experience using higher speed with lower modem.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

No it won't. You are refusing to get it. As stated, it will default to using a lower speed tier config file whichever one that may be... I can't know which one that is for sure. It's just lower. I don't make their corporate policies. I'm not an employee.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

No bud. Like I said before( and you refuse to get it) it will default to the next lower configuration file and nothing in between...

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here