JohnFinocc's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, October 7th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

WHY am I Blocked from Changing 2.4 or 5 GHZ Wifi Settings on the Xfinity Router?

I wanted to raise an issue for discussion with the Community but to also get some insight from Comcast.   As someone who likes to be able to have control over my home network and establish the best WiFi channels possible on the Xfinity router to work in concert with a second Netgear Nighthawk router that acts as an additional access point, I would like to be able to change the Wifi Channels on the Xfinity Router as I can on the Netgear router.  However, in recent months, Comcast has disabled the ability to be able to make those changes as they have taken away the Advanced option in Xfi of "2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode)".   Also, when trying to change it directly on the Modem, the options are all visible but cannot be changed (Read-Only view).  I would like to understand why when I am paying good money for a service I cannot make changes that are optimal for my home environment?  If I want to make changes to a WiFi channel, I have to call Comcast to do so.  For example, I had an issue on the 2.4 GHZ band where a hand-held phone was interfering with the WiFi.  I wanted to be able to change the WiFi channel to be able to eliminate the channel setting as a variable.  But I could not do that.  I would like to strongly request from Comcast that this option be enabled again so that if I need to make changes to my network, I can do so without having to call Customer Support, which could wind up taking a very long time just to make very fundemental changes.

Here is the post from Comcast on this issue to which I am referring.  How do they know in my house and neighborhood what settings result in the best performance?  I am a Performance Engineer and I would like to be able to adjust and test these things myself.    While the Internet service overall has been reliable and good for the most part, this blocking of a fundemental condiguration option does anger me a bit, and I would like to understand if Comcast plans on addressing this issue and if others have the same concern.  Here is the post from https://internet.xfinity.com/more/help/articles/Frequently-Asked-Questions#advanced-settings .  BTW, I do not use the xFi Pods so that should not be coming into play for this lack of ability to modify settings.

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here