jmr1959's profile

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Where is the WPS button on the XB-7 modem?

Is it that little indented thing in the back?

And what are the secret codes for the multi-colored light on top?

I've been trying to find a manual but haven't had any luck so far.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @jmr1959 

The WPS button is indeed the one on the back and has the --> <-- icon

WPS.png

Device Status and Light Activity

Light Activity Status of Device Issue Cause / Additional Action Needed
No light Off N/A
White steady light or white steady light with purple tint (post-activation) On/Operational N/A
White steady or blinking light / white steady or blinking light with purple tint (during activation) Limited Operational If you haven’t yet activated your device, follow the steps outlined in your Getting Started Guide.
Red steady light No Internet connection We're having trouble connecting with your device. Contact us for help.
Blue blinking light WPS Mode Your Gateway is trying to make a connection with another wireless device. Once connected, your new device should be up and running.
All other color combinations Connecting to Xfinity systems Please wait for about 15 minutes for this cycle to complete. If you’re still having issues connecting, contact us for help.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-gateway-led-lights

@jmr1959 wrote:

Is it that little indented thing in the back?

And what are the secret codes for the multi-colored light on top?

I've been trying to find a manual but haven't had any luck so far.

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks ComcastJonathan!

So that button has at least two uses, the other being to do a factory reset, as stated in the thread below by EG, or was he talking about a different modem ?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/reset-password-for-gateway/td-p/3342095 

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

@jmr1959 

Just wanted to check what use cases you'd have that require a full factory reset as it's only recommended in rare instances (e.g. you forgot the sign-in credentials to the admin console) and the support documentation recommends that it be used as a last resort.

The XB6 has a reset hole similar to most modems/routers and has the word "reset" underneath it.

There's a reset button underneath the coax (internet cable) on the XB7. If you go into the settings, there are more restart options within the gateway's admin tool:

Advanced Features: Restart with the Admin Tool

1. Make sure you’re connected to your home network.
  2. Open a web browser, type in http://10.0.0.1 to go to the Admin Tool, and sign in. The Username and Password is not the same as your WiFi name and password. If you haven’t changed your Admin Tool login, the default settings are:
    • Username: admin
    • Password: password (case sensitive)
  3. Once signed in, navigate to Troubleshooting > Reset/Restore Gateway. From here, you have five reset options:
    • RESET - Restarts the Gateway the same as unplugging and plugging it back in.
    • RESET WIFI MODULE - Turns off your Gateway's WiFi radio and then turns it back on.
    • RESET WIFI ROUTER - This is the same as rebooting a wireless router attached to a cable modem.
    • RESTORE WIFI SETTINGS - This completely restores your WiFi settings (e.g., SSID/WiFi network name, WiFi password) on your Wireless Gateway to the factory default values. This results in being disconnected from your WiFi network, and you will have to reconnect all clients with the default network name (SSID) and password.
    • RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS - This option (same as pressing the Factory Reset button on the device) completely restores your Wireless Gateway settings back to their factory default values, including firewall settings, managed devices, parental controls, WiFi credentials, etc. The RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS option will temporarily disconnect you from the network. If prompted, customize the WiFi name and password and reconnect devices to your home network using these credentials.
Note: A restart is different than a factory reset. A factory reset restores your Gateway to its original default settings, including your WiFi name and password. A factory reset requires using a small object, such as a paper clip or pin, to hold in the Reset button on the back of the Gateway for 30 seconds until all the LED lights power off. If prompted, you’ll be required to create a custom WiFi name and password and reconnect devices to your home network using this information.

Source:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/troubleshooting-your-cable-modem

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@jmr1959 wrote:

So that button has at least two uses, the other being to do a factory reset, as stated in the thread below by EG, or was he talking about a different modem ?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/reset-password-for-gateway/td-p/3342095 

No. They are / have two separate and distinct functions / purposes.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks @EG , @jmr1959  I believe EG was saying that the WPS is distinctly for WPS, and the reset hole is distinctly for resetting (on the XB6 shown below). XB6 has the WPS button on the front in the XB6 vs the back on the XB7.

XB6.jpeg

@jmr1959 wrote:

Sorry EG, I'm not sure I understand what it is you're telling me.

ComcastJonathan, I was only looking for the WPS button. When you told me that it's the indented button on the back I was just commenting that that's the same button that EG told the OP in his post here to push in order to do a factory reset so that the login password would get reset.

It was interesting/curious/confusing to me that the designers would use the same button for very different purposes. Although I do understand that you have to hold the button for 30 seconds to do the reset, while, I assume, you just press it and release it to activate WPS mode.

Thank you both again for your help with this.

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry EG, I'm not sure I understand what it is you're telling me.

ComcastJonathan, I was only looking for the WPS button. When you told me that it's the indented button on the back I was just commenting that that's the same button that EG told the OP in his post here to push in order to do a factory reset so that the login password would get reset.

It was interesting/curious/confusing to me that the designers would use the same button for very different purposes. Although I do understand that you have to hold the button for 30 seconds to do the reset, while, I assume, you just press it and release it to activate WPS mode.

Thank you both again for your help with this.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The round button, in the back, above the  ethernet ports. This button has -2- functions.

1)- a quick push/release triggers the WPS function

2)-a push and hold (about 30 seconds) triggers the "reset" function

This info. is not covered, that I could find, in the packaged product info. A Comcast tech had to work

through this with me and I thank her greatly for the help!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here