Libertas's profile

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

Saturday, August 31st, 2024 1:42 AM

When I install an xFi pod it will REASSIGN all my device connections if it is a stronger signal than my Gateway? ? ?

I assumed once I set it up it would be a new, additional wifi internet to choose from as if it were a seperate internet source.  Guess not, the last thing I want is for it to unconnect my NEST for instance and try to connect it to the pod or my garage door etc.  MyQ  garage door cant be connected to internet without me getting up on the ladder and touching something, I havent done it in so long.

Do I have this wrong, I hope?  If I am standing next to it with my iPhone is it going to disconnect from the Gateway and connect to the pod?  Will the pod be in my list of WIFI connections so I can CHOOSE what to connect to it?

I am doing ALL this as my XB8 which is 30 feet from my ring camera and my KWIKSET front door lock, and it is almost a direct line of sight with a hallway, is not connecting to those devices half the time.  I dont know how to change the wifi connection on the Ring, the KWIKSET I do but it is a lengthy process.

Help me understand this better please.  Thanks.

My speeds are 800/100 or whatever the upload is now.

RSSI on the Ring is 58-60 depending on time of day.  Don't know what the KWIKSET is.  

And if I install it then decide not to keep it, will I have to connect all the devices again on the device app etc?

Contributor

• 

199 Messages

16 days ago

Pods, plus 3rd party extenders and consumer mesh network kits all show up as the same SSID (network name) and use the same password.  You won't be able to choose which node (aka Pod or the Xfinity gateway) each device connects to.  It's actually the devices rather than the network that decide which node to connect to, so in the case of your iPhone the iPhone picks, not the Xfinity equipment.  Assuming all your stuff works correctly if you activate a pod devices close to the pod should switch over to the pod eventually.  Some devices are better at this than others.  iPhones and Android devices are pretty good about switching.  My printer just won't unless I power cycle it.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

@zandor60657​ Thank you for responding, I’m not going to do it for now because of my concerns about my nest thermostat and my myQ garage and reading people saying that it has caused issues with the gateway and I just don’t remember several issues, do you personally have any experience and issues?  

I have a myQ Garage deal and you can’t change the Wi-Fi without pushing a button on the garage door opener so I would hope it wouldn’t try to change it but I don’t know.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here