U

Tuesday, January 16th, 2024 5:50 AM

Closed

What modem to choose from recommended list ?

Since I do have now the next gen network available for my house, I want to come back to Xfinity. I don't want to rent a modem, therefore owning my own is what I want.

I'm still thinking about the plan, either a 800/100 or 1200/200. Potentially a 2000/200 in the future once I'll upgrade my home network with 2.5Gbps network.

Anyway, here is the list of compatible and recommended modems provided by tech support:

https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.11.22%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf

Here are a few modems I would potentially go for. What is your experience with those ?

I always hated Netgear. No idea how their modem reliability is. The CM3000 listed is not yet available and no idea about its future price.

The CM2050v used to be a recommended device for the NextGen Speed Tier, not anymore.

I had a ARRIS in the past, with a 300Mbps/15Mbps, was rock solid.

I don't know HItron.

I'm lost about what modem I should purchase.

Thanks

ARRIS Surfboard S33

I heard a lot of good about this modem, and listed by Xfinity as capable of reaching up to 2.33Gbps in download, no upload specified.

But it's not in the Next Gen Speed Tier section.

How would it perform with these plans 800/100, 1200/200 and 2000/200 ?

Pro: it's only a modem, no need to worry about putting it in bridge mode.

Price: $155

Hitron CODA56

I saw in one place to be the best modem. What is your experience ? WIll it work well ?

This one is actually listed as recommended for the Next Gen Speed Tier.

Pro: it's only a modem, no need to worry about putting it in bridge mode.

Price: $140

ARRIS Surfboard G54

Seems to be the Rolls Royce. But I am not interested by the router or wifi access point embedded. Per my research, we can setup the device in bridge mode.

Cons: expensive because many unnecessary features.

Price: $600

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

8 months ago

I have a netgear cm2050V and I am not getting the full speed I am paying for because of the issues comcast has had with this model.  Since I have comcast voice (phone) I am stuck.  There are no good options with telephone capability.

4 Messages

@mike-davis​ 

I saw the cm2050v used to be on their recommended for Next Gen Speed Tier.

Not anymore. Seems like there's a valid reason for this.

The other choice is using the xFi gateway, but it comes with a rent, and not sure the voice line works when it's in bridge mode.

Still very undecided to what to chose for myself, I'm down to the Hitron CODA56 or the xFi Gateway in bridge mode, for which I would get the xFi Coplete to have unlimited data. Need to weigh the financial aspect of it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here