6960298's profile

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, March 27th, 2022 8:45 PM

Closed

what is the minimum download speed !!!BASED ON MY PLAN!!!

I fully understand that speeds can vary due to type of modem, Internet traffic, yada yada yada.   My question has nothing to do with the actual service to my home.   Please keep this in mind as you respond. Thank you ahead of time, saving us all time and trouble.

I would like to know what is the MINIMUM guaranteed download speed of my service, at the point of the modem.   I have Blast Pro+ and, according to my bill which I can view online, I can get speeds up to 400mbps.   But that is the MAXIMUM speed.   I would like to know what the minimum speed Xfinity/Comcast provides for my service.   More importantly, why is this not prominently displayed anywhere on the system?   Minimum AND maximum download AND upload speeds should be provided.

Again, please, save us the dread of explaining that it depends on many factors.  We already know this.  What I am asking simply is:  What speed range am I supposed to be getting for Blast PRO+ and not get into the details of exactly what hardware configuration is present.   I am talking ONLY about the contracted speeds for these plans.   Exactly what did you sell me?

Thanks for a clear and concise answer that does not reiterate what we already know as is so common with technical support.

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

553 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @6960298, thanks for reaching out for help on our forums! We understand how important it is to know that you're getting the right speeds in which you subscribe. In short, we do not provide minimum speed information at all. Since you mentioned that you have our Blast Pro+ speed 400 Mbps/10Mbps the output would vary from 0 Mbps - 400 Mbps depending on connection type, device, etc. If you're having problem with a specific device obtaining proper speeds we would be happy to troubleshoot this problem with you. 

Accepted Solution

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

BTW, I doubt ANYONE would accept a connection that ranges from 0-400mbps.   What would they do with a connection that gives them 0mbps?   How often would that be occurring?

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityNico​ So tell me, what are the "proper speeds?"  And, as I expected, xfinity did not answer the question I was asking.   All you did was patronize me by telling me what I already knew, which I was pretty clear I did not want (please re-read my ORIGINAL post).   I think the very first sentence of that post summarizes what I did *not* want.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@6960298 My apologies if we upset you, that is not the intention. In short, there is not a minimum speed provided, because there are to many variables to factor into minimum speeds. While your subscription may be up to 400/10 Mbps, if you have device connected to your network that will only handle let's say 100 Mbps; that would be that devices max capability. Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of services. Please let me know if there are any follow up questions I may answer for you. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Let's take customer premise equipment out of the calculation, completely.   Considering ONLY your network up to the pedestal or other premise interchange point, what minimum speed can Xfinity accommodate?

Imagine that a tech had the most high-end equipment available to them, like top-of-the-line modem and laptop, and they connected to your network at the pedestal.   What minimum speed would they get there?

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

That's a great question! With no other mitigating factors, the minimum speed to your modem should be 400 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. In most areas, your service should be slightly overprovisioned by 5-10%, giving you a baseline download speed marginally higher than 400 Mbps.

I know that when I had Blast! Pro in my own home, the download speed to my modem was usually around 420-430 Mbps, and the upload speed was about 10-11 Mbps. I was usually able to see speed test results to my mobile device above 400 Mbps, as long as I was in the same room as my router, but my laptop would rarely get above 74 Mbps, because it had an older 2.4 GHz network adapter. I hope that helps to clarify things a little better.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

I am not getting 400mbps down.  Usually I am getting 300mbps down--and that is fairly consistent.  But it does dip to less than 250 down for about an hour or so, seemingly intermittently.

So you claim that 400 mbps down is the MINIMUM?  Interesting.  A comcast tech told me that I should expect 250-400.  Maybe you can now see why I find this confusing.

As far as "mitigating" factors, I have a brand new modem (Netgear CM1000) and I run speedtest-cli from the router that is immediately connected by ethernet cat 5e cable (which is the type which came with the modem).  At the router end, there is a 1000mbps ethernet adapter.

But that wasn't why I was asking.  For me, 300mbps down is satisfactory.  I just wanted to hear someone tell me what the minimum SHOULD be.  And it is curious why the speed drops to 250 (or even lower in some instances of when it slows down) at times, even when I am not really doing anything that would put much traffic on the wire.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

The mention of 400 Mbps download being the minimum was in response to your question of if a tech had the most high-end equipment available to them, such as top of the line modem and laptop. If you are connecting via Wi-Fi there are factors, that even in the above scenario (such as traffic, how many devices are connecting and what they are doing with the internet i.e. gaming, video streaming, etc) you may still not see the 400 Mbps. If you've been experiencing slower than normal internet we definitely would be more than happy to take a look and see what's happening and how we can help resolve it. 

Please send us a direct message to "Xfinity Support" with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message you may need to:
Click "Sign In"
Click the "direct message" icon
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

I generally aim for no less than 85-90% of advertised. If I see speed degradation below that level for more than a few days then I start calling. So for 400 mbps I would expect it to be over 340-350 mbps 

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

It is remarkable that no one can supply a straightforward answer to my inquiry.

Most businesses post their price lists and what you get for that.   Wendy's burgers you can expect about 1/4 pound of beef per patty (that's for a "single").  If you order a double, you get 1/2 pound, etc.   I probably won't get much less than 4 oz or much more than 4 oz for the posted price.

If I ask the counter help, they will probably say, yes, each patty is 1/4 pound.   They do not say things like, well, it depends how hungry you are, whether you ordered soda and fries with that, whether you are dine-in or take-out, etc.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Technology is different.   Somehow... Funny, the same technology that can deliver high speed internet could also be used to determine network capacity needed to supply all the customers with the speed they are paying for.   (Or at least, last time I checked, software is able to compute such things.)  So I don't really get why this is so hard to determine.

Civil engineers calculate the minimum expected load on, say, a bridge and design it according to that threshold.  And, IIRC, network designers are usually called "engineers."  So I kinda expect them to do likewise.   I don't think this is an outrageous expectation.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I concur. I believe these standards should be in your face visible.. I recall the FCC are or did something they called a nutrition label for this specific industry...for the consumers, acknowledging that is is displayed in mumbo jumbo basically. Sorry it's not an answer for you🥴 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here