Jibroni's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

Sunday, December 25th, 2022 1:31 AM

Closed

What does an Xfinity Moca Filter look like?

So I have a Moca adapter coming next week. I know my modem is Moca ready, but someone said something about a filter. I have zero clue what that even looks like. Is it located on the first splitter for the main line coming in the home, or is it on the main line outside? 

Contributor

• 

156 Messages

1 year ago

There are multiple companies making MOCA filters, and while they're usually installed at the service point of entry, they could be almost anywhere between your service drop and your gateway.

POE filters look *something like* this (just one possible example):

and in-line devices that might be at or close to your gateway *might* look like this:

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

Small.  2.3 inches long.  Looks like a long coax cable connector:  https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-coaxial-networks/dp/B00KO5KHSQ/ref=asc_df_B00KO5KHSQ?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195746823036&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795280684813&psc=1

Ideally, this is installed right where the cable enters your house/apartment to isolate you from your neighbors.  If you aren't using cable TV boxes, it could go right on the back of your Gateway.  If you are, it goes at least before the splitter that feeds other coax jacks in your house.

Why do you need one?  Because Xfinity MoCA has no security, so your neighbor's MoCA devices either intentionally, or unintentionally could be joining your network.  That would be a major security risk.  It's just a filter that blocks the signal.  You could try to shut off MoCA on your Xfinity gateway, but others report if there is an MoCA device on the line somewhere, it turns itself back on.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

1 year ago

So I have a Moca adapter coming next week. I know my modem is Moca ready, but someone said something about a filter. I have zero clue what that even looks like. Is it located on the first splitter for the main line coming in the home, or is it on the main line outside? 

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/BELDEN-SNLP-1GCWWS-Prevent-Interference-Weather/dp/B077XPDGVH. These are typically installed at the end of the drop cable in the outdoor junction box to ensure that it traps MoCA from all the feeds entering the home, but could be installed indoors if only one feed is present.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here