Twonefive's profile

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Monday, August 24th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

WAN gateway IP for VPN

I wanted to get my WAN gateway IP to set up a VPN. Yes, I know when comcast then switches my WAN IP address I would loose the VPN, thats fine. I call comcast tonight, and tell them, I know my WAN IP address, I would just like my WAN gateway IP (I already tried trcroute). The tech support told me to open command prompt and run ipconfig, so I tried to explain, ipconfig is for your internal LAN not your WAN info. Tech support still had no idea what I was talking about. They then said they couldn't help me because only I have access to my "admin tool" on my modem and router and without that, they can't help. It was extremely frustrating. So if tech support can't help me, what do I do? Where can I go for this information?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

A traceroute will tell you. It's the hop after your router's IP.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

Can't you log in to your router or gateway's admin pages and view the gateway IP there? If you don't know how, post the device model number.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote: A traceroute will tell you. It's the hop after your router's IP.

I would have thought so, but that's not what I'm seeing here in South Central PA. The first Comcast hop in traceroutes (Win 10 "tracert") is 96.a.b.c, but my router reports a default gateway of 174.d.e.f, so not even on the same subnet. I may be missing something here . . .

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

That's great for you EG? I guess. I don't know why sometimes. Why do two people have the same subnet issue I'm referring to here?

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

For the record, I do appreciate everyone's help and comments on this. I apologize if I sounded short, I don't mean to be. I just get carried away lol, sorry everyone!

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

Perhaps a web proxy is being employed somewhere ?

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thats exactly what I'm seeing Bruce! My WAN is in the 7's and a trcroute's first hop is in the 9's. I tried plugging that address into the router anyway while setting it up with a static IP (required for setting up the VPN) and it won't let me save it because it says "Subnet error"

Either way though, this is something support should be able to provide you with ease. The fact they say they can't is very frustrating. I had everything working fine with the VPN until this past weekend when they switched my WAN IP knocking the VPN offline till I got home again. When I got home and attempted to set everything back up, I ran into this problem. Normaly a trcroute solves it but in this case I'm stuck 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Of course I can log in to my router. I have no issue there. Logging in to your router will not tell you your Wide Area Network Gateway IP only a trcroute from inside the network to outside the network will sometimes tell you that but it isn't working

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

Why sometimes ? For my 30 years of I.T. experience, it always has.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

@Twonefive wrote: ... Logging in to your router will not tell you your Wide Area Network Gateway IP ...

Why not? Mine does: https://i.imgur.com/Sc4gUU6.png

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Also, EG, your 30 years of experience paid off. Tracert was giving me the correct info, I just didn't know it was possible to have a WAN Gateway IP in a different subnet than your WAN IP

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

subnets**

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I wish mine did. In fact, like yours, my old netgear router did, it was very convenient. The one I have now does not. It'd be nice if it did though

From looking on some more forums, I believe it has something to do with PPPOE (Which I know nothing about but also learned router manufacturers are starting to allow the WAN IP and WAN Gateway IP to be in different subsets when setting up a static IP because of it, the brand I'm using has not done that yet)

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2064039-wan-ip-and-wan-gateway-ip

Bruce and EG thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

Good to hear !! BTW, PPPoE is a DSL protocol, not DOCSIS / cable. Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here