rockn24x7's profile

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, September 13th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

VPN protocols allowed by Xfinity router/gateway

Hello All -

I currently have an Xfinity Gateway/Router that I use to provide Internet capabilities to several nodes.  All of them are Ethernet hardwired.  When I try to run a VPN app, with the configuration set to OpenUDP, it fails to allow connections of servers.  If I set it to use the OpenTCP protocol, it will make the connection, but at a DL speed decrease of approximately 66% (650Mbps NO VPN vs. 200Mbps VPN ON).  I do know that TCP is inherently slower overall, but I don't know why I can't use a UDP-based protocol - which is faster and has less latency, etc.  I also know about network traffic, hopcounts, and all that other stuff that could slow it down.  These failures are exhibited with multiple VPN providers, and the only common denominator is Xfinity.

Does anyone know why the OpenUDP protocol-based VPN attempts are not going through?  Is there a certain port or other configuration setting that must be used to get around this?  I hate to lose the majority of my download speed in order to be secure.... thanks!

-rockn24x7

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

I don't know because I don't use one, but in the port forwarding settings of the Comcast gateway device, does it even have the option of allowing you to select  UDP forwarded ports, or only TCP forwarded ports ?

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

I don't know about TCP vs UDP Port Forwarding, as I haven't used it for anything up to this point (left it at default setting).  I do see where the Xfinity Gateway is supposedly enabled to pass VPN traffic through UDP port 500 and TCP port 1723.  I know 1723 is standard, but not sure about 500 (though I think I remember it as being it).  Or maybe Xfinity is doing something else to block it somehow, though I can't say what.  Thanks!

- rockn24x7

Expert

• 

104.5K Messages

4 years ago

O/k well if you don't see both types being offered there, it probably can't use UDP. Comcast gateway devices lack robustness compared to third party / retail devices....

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here