mike_b1's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 10th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

VPN keeps on dropping

I have a Win10 computer connected (via router) to the Xfinity modem. There are also other computers in the house, connected through ethernet or WiFi, as well as other devices (TV, etc.).

I need to use a VPN connection (L2TP/IPsec) to connect to my office and get access to resources there. I am having trouble with frequent drops of the VPN connection.

I have had days where the connection was stable for several hours, then dropped without any error message or entry in the computer event viewer, on other days it drops every few minutes. The IT people at work also tell me that there is no trace of why the VPN connection stopped. At one point, just before or after the connection stopped, my computer told me that it had detected a "network change".

It seems to me that the only place where a "network change" could occur is the Xfinity network. During all this time, though, my computer maintains connection to the internet. I have noticed, though, that occasionally I cannot open some webpages, the browser (Chrome) tells me that the site is not reachable. It usually takes a few seconds and then the site is reachable again. I am not sure if this is related to the VPN drops, but I guess if my computer cannot reach the office server for a few seconds, it drops the connection. 

So what causes these connectin glitches? Does anybody have a similar experience?

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

4 years ago

Try disabling the Xfi Advanced Security feature as a work-around for now and see. It's buggy ! And there is currently no way for an end-user to be able to whitelist anything;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am experiencing the same issue with Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Did this work for anyone else? I turned off the xFi Advanced Security setting and it did not fix the internet outage issue. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am experiencing the same issue VPN keeps dropping every 10 minutes

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

you described my exact situation except that my VPN is WatchGuard. It's been fine until two days ago and now it drops every few hours and will not reconnect unless I restart my router.  Did you find a solution? Right now I am working via a network cable plugged into my router to see if that helps, which is a temporary solution at best!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@kayla__pr wrote:

you described my exact situation except that my VPN is WatchGuard. It's been fine until two days ago and now it drops every few hours and will not reconnect unless I restart my router.  Did you find a solution? Right now I am working via a network cable plugged into my router to see if that helps, which is a temporary solution at best!

Doesn't sound like it's the same problem. Did  your Ethernet connection fix your issue? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I’m having the same issue!! My WiFi stays connected, but there is no internet.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@Apacker137 wrote:
I’m having the same issue!! My WiFi stays connected, but there is no internet.

Did you even try any of the suggested fixes mentioned above?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have been having the same issues. I've worked from home before (prior to Feb 2020) and never had any issue. My work VPN will drop at least every couple hours. I have to restart my computer to get connection again, just for it to drop again. I have called my work IT department. We've tried several fixes thinking it must be something with my laptop (even sent me a new laptop), but nothing has corrected the issue. They have said it must be something to do with my internet provider. I've tried disabling the security as suggested. Lost connection again with an hour and a half. I've spent the money on xfi pods and that hasn't helped (I didn't think it would... just trying to check all the boxes). I do not lose internet connection - just my connection with my work VPN. {Note: I am not techy so I wouldn't be able to tell you what VPN my work uses unless shown where to look.}  Help!!  I am really trying to stay at home since I have a disabled daughter that I cannot chance getting sick, but if this keeps happening I'm going to be forced to go into my workplace. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@TLamons wrote:

I have been having the same issues. I've worked from home before (prior to Feb 2020) and never had any issue. My work VPN will drop at least every couple hours. I have to restart my computer to get connection again, just for it to drop again. I have called my work IT department. We've tried several fixes thinking it must be something with my laptop (even sent me a new laptop), but nothing has corrected the issue. They have said it must be something to do with my internet provider. I've tried disabling the security as suggested. Lost connection again with an hour and a half. I've spent the money on xfi pods and that hasn't helped (I didn't think it would... just trying to check all the boxes). I do not lose internet connection - just my connection with my work VPN. {Note: I am not techy so I wouldn't be able to tell you what VPN my work uses unless shown where to look.}  Help!!  I am really trying to stay at home since I have a disabled daughter that I cannot chance getting sick, but if this keeps happening I'm going to be forced to go into my workplace. 

There was a thread a while back outlining certain issues with VPNs that we suspect had to do with  the XB3, and more specifically the TG1682G variant. We had  customers try to set the gateways into Bridge Mode (or use their own modems) then use their own routers, and that seemed to work.

We never did figure out why this was successful, other than a few customer reports.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi experiencing the exact same issue... Have you found anything that resolved it yet?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same issues. Frustrating to say the least. I’ve been working remotely for years and not had issues like this ever. Got a new gateway, But that really hasn’t helped. Techs are no help. They can’t troubleshoot VPNs

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@Aaronwaddell wrote:
Same issues. Frustrating to say the least. I’ve been working remotely for years and not had issues like this ever. Got a new gateway, But that really hasn’t helped. Techs are no help. They can’t troubleshoot VPNs

First of all, it's not fair to ask Xfinity techs to troubleshoot a third party product. That's like asking your car manufacturer to troubleshoot a car stereo you installed yourself. You should consult with your VPN provider, as they most likely might have some insight into what's actually happening. 

Secondly, posting a "me too" post without outlining what steps you've actually taken to troubleshoot are of no help.

Two solutions were presented above:

Please try those first. 

As there has been no reply from the OP on this topic, I'm closing it. If you have any further issues please start a new thread. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have been working from home since 2004, I reply on VPN to connect to resources on my company network.  I never have had any problem over xFinity network until I switched my xFinity modem to xFi Gateway.  As soon as I switched, I started seeing my SSH sessions over VPN getting terminated without any error.  I contacted xFinity Tech Support.  After reconfiguring the gateway, they told me to work with my company's IT Support to fix the VPN.  My IT Support people re-installed and re-configured VPN on my Windows 10 system.  The problem still continued to occur every few hours on a good day or every hour on a bad day.  Whenever it happened, I checked the VPN status to see if the VPN was dropped.  The VPN seemed to be working fine.  I then decided to run ping sessions continuously hoping to see if packets got dropped when my SSH sessions got terminated.  It did not happen.  In fact, I found one workaround for this VPN problem on xFi Gateway by accident.  As long as I have a ping session running against any remote target over the VPN connection, no SSH sessions will be terminated.  

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

3 years ago

@user_9928cf 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this year old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here