U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 17th, 2024 7:39 PM

Closed

vpn issues

Hello,

I've had Xfinity with the XFI router for 2 years. Connection and specifically VPN connection has been fantastic until about 6 weeks ago.  I've consulted my IT Dept and they've assured me everything is up to date on my computer and their end and are confident it is an issue Xfinity like in the router or a break in a wire somewhere.  I reached out via chat and had the speed test ran, and everything passed and looked good to the rep.  However he was going to pass my issue along to a "higher authority".  Well, neither Buddha or Jesus have reached out so here I am trying to figure out some solutions. I train via Zoom and VPN access is imperative for certain sessions.  Here is what I've found out and tried:

1. Rebooted Router and Computer. I've done this multiple times actually.- No help

2. Check to make sure all connections are secure. - No help

3. Had my VPN application (Foritoken) removed and reinstalled. - No help

4. I've consulted some other team members who mentioned this issue..funny they BOTH have Xfinity, and we are all 3 in different states.

I guess I don't know where to go from here. What else can I test to find the issue or HOW can I just get a tech out here to help me. I don't even mind paying for it, but cannot even seem to find out how to do that on the xfinity site. I'll buy a new router - whatever it takes.  Need to get this resolved. 

Official Employee

• 

533 Messages

8 months ago

@user_eff9b9 Thanks for troubleshooting and letting us know what's going on. We're happy to help and make sure you get all the performance from your service. If others in three different states experience the same, it may be something related to the VPN. To isolate where the concern is coming from: Does this happen at all without the VPN? If it does, then it's the service. If not, it may be due to an update with the VPN requirements or ports. Before you purchase another router, have you reset the Xfinity Gateway to default settings, and checking if it happens still? You can replace the gateway at a local store for free to see if that helps. If not, then there may be a port the VPN requires open, that would be allowed on an owned modem/router. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Hello Benny,

Thank you for the response!  I feel like my internet works great for streaming on multiple devices. I rarely see it drop or disconnect when using it in the evening to stream on multiple devices.  I'm not sure I know how to reset the router to default settings - can you show me where that is?

I am going to take my laptop to some other locations and connect to VPN and see if I have the same issue.

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_eff9b9 Here are the directions. Let us know how it goes. 

To manually restore factory settings, follow the following steps depending on your gateway model.

• Locate the Reset button on the back of the gateway and use a non-metallic pointed object (such as a toothpick) to hold in the Reset button for 30 seconds until all the LED lights power off.
  • If your gateway does not have a Reset button, locate the WPS button and hold it for 30 seconds.

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here