Y

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, June 6th, 2022 1:22 AM

Closed

Using own router in bridge mode

If I decide to use my own router and enable bridge mode on the xfinity gateway, will I need to re-setup my wireless network name and password once I connect the new router? Or does it automatically transfer that info to the router? I'd like to keep the wireless network name/pass what is was before if possible so that all my devices can still easily connect.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

The Xfinity Wireless Gateway puts the technology of a modem and router into one piece of equipment, creating the fastest, most reliable in-home WiFi.

We understand, however, that there may be times when you may want to use your own router.

To do this on our network, you will have to enable the Bridge Mode feature on the Wireless Gateway, which turns off its routing capabilities while leaving the modem capabilities on. Then, you may connect and use your own router. Note: Any ethernet port can be used but only one device can be connected to the gateway while in Bridge Mode. Please let us know if this info helps.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityThomasA​ Thanks but that didn't answer my specific question. I had already seen that info. I am asking if I will need to re-enter wireless network and password info once I add the new router? I am assuming I will need to but trying to clarify before actually going through with it.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

You're Wi-Fi network name and password would remain unchanged during this step. 👍

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityThomasA​ Thank you. Is the recommended method to set up -  1) Enable bridge Mode on xfinity gateway. 2) turn off both the xfinity gateway and router. 3) Connect them. 4) turn on xfinity modem 5) turn on router?

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

I gotcha @yknutson! The wireless information will not transfer from the Xfinity gateway to your own router and you would need to set up everything up on the router. These days when you first connect to the router, it should run you through a setup wizard where it will ask you what you would like for the Wi-Fi name and password. Now, you can set it up with the same name and password which would auto-connect your devices to the router if they are already set up on the Xfinity gateway.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

ok, thanks - thats what I thought. also is the preferred method to set it up like this? 1) Enable bridge Mode on xfinity gateway. 2) turn off both the xfinity gateway and router. 3) Connect them. 4) turn on xfinity modem 5) turn on router?

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

While there isn't a preferred way to have this process set up, that is certainly a way to do it. Just make sure before you plug your router into the modem, the modem is in bridge mode first, and then plug your router in that way the IP address is there for the router to grab it from the modem. Great question!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here