NetworkQs's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 24th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

Using my router connected to an XB6 without bridge mode and everything works, is this okay?

Is it okay to use your own router connected to an XB6 Gateway and not be in bridge mode? I'm doing this and everything seems to be working great, we are actually running slightly above my plan on speed (which is nice) with 15 or so devices connected to the router (wired and wireless.) I do have wifi and the hotspot on the XB6 shut off. Are other folks doing this? Is there a downside? Related – I did go into bridge mode for a test and it seems to kill access to the XB6 configuration page at 10.0.0.1, is there way to fix that? It took a support call to get 10.0.0.1 access back and we had to go out of bridge mode to do it. (Weird.) Or should I not worry and is it okay to run like this? Any down sides to one router sitting behind an XB6 still in router mode?

(BTW - We backed into this set-up when we recently switched from an XB3 to and XB6 gateway and thought all of our old settings had transferred including bridge mode based on what the comcast support rep said during XB6 activation. Everything lit up and worked great across the network via my router. But checking 10.0.0.1 bridge mode was off.)

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

If you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks! Looked that up and it was super useful info. Any idea why bridge mode disables access to the XB6 via http://10.0.0.1? If you’re in bridge mode do you need to go straight into the XB6 via an ethernet and by-pass your router and then http://10.0.0.1 will work again?     

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

Because that is the router component's address. It's no longer a router when it's in bridge mode. It's just a straight cable modem, so it uses the standard modem access address of http://192.168.100.1 to view the status stuff.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have been configured with bridge mode OFF and connected with one port to my router and the other port going to my ADT

security wireless base box for about 2 years now. I have two WiFi networks, one from gateway and one(different name) from my router. Both 5G and 2.4G from each WiFi. I have many wireless devices connected and wired devices. I have WiFi extenders on the router WiFi. No issues, just seems like the way it should work. By the way this configuration was done by the Xfinity service guy when installing my xFi gateway when my user owned modem failed.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Hello @pkhardage.

This is an old, inactive thread that we will be closing at this time. If you are having troubles and need support, please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue so that the community and our support representatives can assist.

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here