J

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, August 29th, 2021 3:56 PM

Closed

Using Motorola MoCA Adapters with your Xfinity XFi Gateway

I recently purchased two Motorola MM1025 MoCA adapters to use in my home. I had been wanting to get my Xbox Ones off the WiFi and onto a wired network, and after I moved to a new rental home, it seemed like the best time to try it out.

You may not know this, but if you have an Xfinity Streaming TV box, it uses MoCA to your modem to access the internet. Pretty wild.

Anyway, I had a really hard time getting it working, until I stumbled across this article from Motorola. If any of you remember having to log into WiFi router web pages to change the settings, this will feel familiar. The steps are:

1. Follow the steps under "Using a Security Key With Your MoCA Adapter" to log into the MoCA device. Stop at Step 4.
  2. It will prompt you to reset your Admin password to something that isn't the default. Do so, reset the device, and log in again.
  3. On the default page, set the location of the box to a value that makes the most sense. This helps you identify the box on your modem's diagnostics page.
  4. Go to the security tab, and uncheck any of the checked boxes on the page. This turns off MoCA security, which Comcast modems to not let you configure.
    1. Note, you will want to make sure you have a line filter on the line coming from the pedestal into the house. Most installs have this already (it's a 3 inch metal cylinder between the orange source line and your house wiring outside at the drop), but if yours doesn't, install the one that comes in the Motorola MoCA box before the splitter outside at the drop. 
  5. Save the changes on the Security page, and reboot the device again.
  6. At this point, the link light should turn on, and anything plugged into the LAN port should be connected to the internet.
  7. Repeat for any additional MoCA devices in the home.

Having MoCA ethernet in my house has been a game-changer for me. Hopefully this helps save you a ton of time, as the Comcast technicians & tech support likely won't know how to do any of this.

Good luck!

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Hey there - thanks for the post. It was useful to me!

It would have been useful for the Motorola MM1025 Quick Start Guide to elaborate that they set security in the software from the factory!

So here is my setup:

- xFi Complete on Xfinity 1.2Gbps plan

- XB7 Gateway (MOCA 2.0 - 1Gbps capable)

- (1) Motorola MM1025 (MOCA 2.5 - 2.5Gbps capable) - LAN and LINK light green for connected 1Gbps speed

- CAT7 cable

- XBOX ONE X (presumably capable of 1Gbps over ethernet)

XBOX internal speed test returns 527Mbps down. I think this goes to the MS game servers. When I open MS Edge on XBOX and navigate to Ookla, it returns a worse speed of around 250Mbps.

Thoughts on speed?

How does one realize actual 2.5Gbps on a client over MOCA 2.5? I suspect I would need 2 MM1025 adapters to overcome the MOCA 2.0 limitation of the XB7. Is it possible to enable Turbo (2 node only) MOCA 2.0 on the XB7?

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here