john987's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 1st, 2020 1:00 AM

Closed

URGENT: VPN not working

VPN was working until a few days ago when I restarted my comcast box. I need VPN to connect to my computer at work however ever since the restart, VPN fails to connect. I can connect to my work VPN from home just fine using mobile hotspot from my TMobile phone however I would like to use my WiFi for this. Following is some more information:

Network infrastructure: Arris TG1682G

What I have tried:

1. Called Comcast customer service: the recording never lets me speak to tech. support since it keeps triggering a modem reset promising me it'll let me talk to a real person after the reset. I have lost count of the number of reset loops I have been put through.

2. I am using Windows 10 and have switched off all firewalls. It is not an issue on my end since everything works fine with my phone's hotspot as I mentioned earlier.

3. Disabled xFi Advanced Security.

And yes, I have read https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-a-vpn-connection.

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Having the same problem. All was working fine for months, then it stopped.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Some Vpns have a kill switch, it blocks internet traffic if it loses its connection, you  rebooted your Comcast box so it lost its connection, try rebooting your window 10 box and restarting the the vpn, just a thought as a had a similar issue

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, but tried that already. Rebooted both the machine and the Comcast box, but it made no difference. A secondary machine on the network CAN access via VPN./ But my primary machine,  which had been able to access VPN for months, can access if I set up by phone as a mobile hotspot, but can no longer access using the same network it had been using. Nothing in the machine or VPN configuration has changed.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same issue. Tried disabling the advanced features. Doesn't work.

IT workedgreat until a few days ago. I didn't change anything.

VPN is working with hotspot

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Exactly. Comcast has been no help.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Try using a different Vpn server location, mine quit working and changed location and it worked fine after the change

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I have three vpn servers at my office. All were working fine until this problem. All are working fine if I set up a mobile hotspot. If I power down the router, vpn will sometimes work as soon as the router powers up, but not if I try to connect a second time, and not if I wait a while before connecting.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I contacted my vpn adminstrator and he can't reproduce the problem. He suggested to contact Comcast/Xfinity. 

Haver you tried contacting Comcast?

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

We have contacted Comcast. They said restart the router. No help.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I'm still debugging. I think it might have to do with the geographical location. I'm in Oregon and my vpn is in California. Are you in the same state? Just trying to find the root cause.

I also use my own router now, changed the LAN addresses, used a direct port. No luck so far......

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I am in the same state as ths vpn.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

I use expressvpn as my vpn, and I used my own router for a while and it would change the dns on my device and sometimes I would have to reset it after rebooting, just a thought

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks. I'm am using my employer vpn, which assigns the ip when connection is made. Resetting my router has no effect.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

I had to reset the dns on my device, not the router

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah, I have done that too.
forum icon

New to the Community?