U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 6th, 2024 11:54 PM

Closed

Upgraded modem needed to get 100 mbps?

I own cm1000v2 modem. I have 1 gig down / 100 mbps plan. I am consistently getting 20mbps upload speed. 

Xfinity customer service told me to get xfinity modem (of course at monthly charge) to get 100 mbps upload speed. 

Is it necessary to upgrade cm1000v2?   It is hard to find out exact upload speed capabilities of the modem. Even netgear doesn't clearly mention in their product sheet. 

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

8 months ago

... cm1000v2 ... 1 gig down / 100 mbps plan ...

The CM1000v2 is not approved for Gigabit Internet service, nor for the new upload speeds. It's approved for wired download speeds "Up to 950 Mbps". Using devices on Internet speed tiers for which they are not approved tends to produce unexpected results.

See:

Also see the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024-02-20_Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf).

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily "approved for Gigabit" or for the new upload speeds.

You need one of the devices shown with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF and the Reddit link, which also lists other requirements for those speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

8 months ago

Hello @user_98daa2, thank you for reaching out to our Forum for help with your Next Generation upload speed concerns. I totally get where you're coming from, those faster uploads are super exciting for our customers. I'm so glad we're working on rolling out those upgrades across our footprint. Your modem listed isn't currently compatible with our Next Gen speed upgrade, so you won't be able to access the higher uploads. Your modem may have the ability to achieve higher uploads, but only approved compatible modems will be able to achieve the higher speeds. We have a really awesome site to check on Compatible Devices, once you update your information you can scroll down to the bottom right to view a pdf of eligible devices for our Next Gen speeds. That was a mouthfull lol, so let's pause here. Did you have any questions based off that information?  

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

So you are saying that the modern is capable of 100mbps (higher)  but it is approved only for 20 mbps (lower)  speed.  Therefore,  xfinity is suggesting to buy or lease new modem.  

This seem like unnecessary expense for no reason. 

What am I missing? 

Official Employee

• 

598 Messages

We are simply stating that if the modem does not appear on our Next Gen Speed Tier list(first table at the top of the .pdf), then that device will not be capable of achieving higher upload speeds. To be able to achieve the high upload speeds you would need to purchase a modem from the Next Gen Speed Tier list or rent an XB8 Xfinity Wireless Gateway. I hope that clears things up for you and let us know if you would like some further clarity. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

@XfinityBradM​  well they told me the same thing after i bought $600 in Arris modem and Eero routers.. so i bit the bullet and upgraded to your guys XB8 modem and alas i get the 1200 mbps download but only 40 upload no matter what i do.. ive restart it, made sure everything is working cable wise, used ethernet and wifi and BOTH max out at 38-42 mbps upload. So i dont get what the point was if it still isnt supported. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here