louis925's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, May 17th, 2020 1:00 AM

Closed

Upgrade to 1000 Mbps plan but slow upload speed at 6 Mbps

Hi,

We just upgraded our Xfinity internet plan from 75Mbps to 1000Mbps last Thursday. After reactivating our modem, we see a boost on our download speed, but the upload speed is still similar to before, and it seems to be capped at 6Mbps. From the website, the 1000Mbps plan is supposed to have 35Mbps upload speed. And, the modem we are using can support up to 151Mbps upload speed. I was wondering if Xfinity is still in the process of upgrading my internet? Or, this is an issue with the equipment and the cable connection?

Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

4 years ago

@louis925 wrote: ... Arris SB6183. ... I thought it won't matter for upload speed too ...

The SB6183 isn't approved for Gigabit service. In order to get the 35 Mbps upload that Gigabit provides, you need to have an approved DOCSIS 3.1 device. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/.

Using devices that are not approved for your speed tier tends to produce unpredictable results.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Adding to @EG, you never stated your equipment make/model or if you are getting proper download speeds

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the detailed information. I wish Xfinity can put this list in the Xfinity support document that one can found easily.

My modem is Arris SB6183. I know it is running on DOCSIS 3.0 and can only reach like ~400Mbps, not 1Gbps download, but I thought it won't matter for upload speed too much since SB6183 can reach 40Mpbs without problem on other cable providers (from several Amazon reviews and tests). I have also reset my modem. So it looks like Xfinity cap the upload speed on their end.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I also upgraded to Gigabit speed thinking the upload speed would be significantly hire but it was not.  I had a very good plan before but I was not able to get back on it, as it was an older plan and they told me they couldn't honor the lower price.  However, the difference is not noticeable, especially when working from home.  The only difference I see is that my Roku videos load a little faster, but that doesn't help me as I often have to save files to other networks, hence (upload) send the data outside of my home.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

@ElRicky 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. Year old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here