coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm also in South Florida.
I received a notification at 10:30pm last night about 100% my data and they gave me 50. Gb for free, by the time I woke up in the AM I have used all 50gb in my sleep with no services in use or connected.
I called them this morning, checked my network only 3 devices connected (my pc ,gf phone and my phone) they told me it could be hackers.... I literally see who's connected changed my password anyways and my data usage is still climbing so they can hit me with another $10 charge. I guess this is how they get their money back for not using their modems.
So some how for the last 5-6 years I've never used over 900gb of data the 1 month I have had their Flex box it has went over the 1.2T and now onto a extra I guess 100gb.
So they are leaking my data through the Flex box I'm guessing by keeping a constant 4k signal being sent to it regardless of what you're watching or if it is idle.
Seeing 5gb being used up every hour with No devices connected is crazy and I'll just send this stupid box back and get a smart tv.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Then why are you on this feed since it is for xfinity users!

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

3 years ago

It really wouldn't surprise me if watching Xfinity cable on an xFi box uses more data than watching content on a 'smart tv' app over a wifi connection.  Just being hardwired in general on a 'smart tv' allows for a faster stream than with wifi, and since they are serving the content, there are very likely less "hops" between you and the streaming server location -- so more data can be shoved down the pipe faster than fishing it off a cloud server somewhere.

I don't use their cable lineup, so I have nothing to test with, and don't know if there is a setting to allow you to limit bandwidth used, or if it's just a full speed "pull what it can" device.  Perhaps there is a data rate limit setting on it you can try.  If there isn't, there was a beta app for RoKu, and perhaps others you could try on a smart TV and see if that was the issue.

Another problem could be if these xFi boxes have the same insecure horrid default settings as some of the gateways out there and they get hammered with sync-ack attacks and probes looking for a way to tip themover. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

The first time ow ent over, not being able to break down my data usage. I was able to get through the phone, they gave me a credit

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I`m also looking for data usage per device in xfi but I do not find one. For the past 3 months I`m exceeding my montly usage and I want to track which device is consuming more and I do not have the data.

Xfinity, please address this issue asap. so many requests but still no update.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the exact same problem. It has been increasing over the last few months, and now I am over their cap. Before pandemic, I averaged 400GB. After pandemic, it went to around 700GB, which I would expect from working from home. But it has been increaseing to just under my cap for the last couple of months, and now I went from 90% to 100% usage in just 48 hours, with something like 60GB per day. One of those days was a saturday while no one was home and all electronics were off. I would basically need to be watching two HD streams 24/7, including while I'm asleep. I have been monitoring the traffic through my router and it only comes up with about 1/10th of what comcast is stating. I would believe that my router's monitoring might be a bit off, but I can't imagine the difference being that extreme. I'm going to continue monitoring it myself and if this issue doesn't seem to go away then something with their equipment must be faulty. We just had a big storm that knocked out their service across the whole city for around 24 hours, so maybe that is the case.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Our data usage was averaging around 600 gigs up until December of last year, when it suddenly shot up to 1200. We're not using any additional devices, nothing's changed, but in January we went over 1.2 terabytes. Considering that xfinity says 1.2 terabytes is sufficient for about 95% of users, it seems strange that we'd be using so much data. We're not twitch streamers or anything, I'm a Salesforce admin who works from home, my partner works at the office.

Last month I changed our internet password thinking that maybe someone was using our internet unauthorized, but we're halfway through the month and already used over 900 gigs.

I'll upgrade to the higher package if that's what I need to do, but it just seems fishy so I wanted to check beforehand with those that may know better than I. Thanks in advance!

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

3 years ago

@ashmateja Scroll back through the thread for various ways of tracking your data.  There are a lot of variables depending on what you have and how "technical" you want to get.  I would guess that in the last year, more than 5% have been going over, but even using the 5% number, that’s more than 1.5 million customers. I have a pretty good idea where the data is going here and can tell without looking at the meter when a month is going to come in high or low.  Other people have gone for years without thinking about it, so it may all seem like a mysterious mess at first.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

We have been Xfinity customers for the last year and a half and just recently started receiving notifications that we are going over our data limit.  We are 16 days into February and just got a notification that we've almost hit the terabyte limit.  We have been working from home since March due to the pandemic and not changed our daily practices yet somehow these last two months have seen us doubling our data usage according the Xfinity.  The other weird thing is that Xfinity no longer has any data on our usage prior to November so I can't even look back at what our average usage was.  I can say that in November we used 453 gb of data.  In January we supposedly used 1950 gb of data with literally zero difference in our day to day.  How does that happen?  Is Xfinity broken?  Where is our past month usage information, Xfinity??

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I'm in colorado springs and the data usage is reading high usage.. only my wife and me live here we don't internet alot never in 6 years .. I took all my items off line but the xfinity app showing that everything i took off line still drawing data until I reset the modem.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I really need help here guys.

Xfinity internet usage is showing me I have already consume 1200+ GB of internet but my router is showing me cleary only 580+ GB as you can see in this picture.

Internet usage 

I`m tired of paying every month extra $$$ for this and pretty sure I have not used that amount ,xfinity is doing something wrong annd they refuse to help me, what can I do ?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Had this issue months ago - personally, I feel Comcast is creating this problem so they can move you (charge) to their "unlimited data" plan. Which I finally succumbed to. Had outrageous data useage for a few months for no apparent reason - of course, if you pay for their X1 modem, they promise to be able to teack (I was using my own approved purchased modem). I purchased google wifi mesh router network in my home ot be able to track useage. One thing I would check - if you are using a device from your cell company (I had a Tmobile "Cell Spot") - apparently those devices act as a virtual cell tower for your cell phoine company and you cant restrict who can acceess data cell network through it - in other words, your neighbores could be watching movies using their own cell (non -wifi) and it may be going through your Wifi without your (or your neighbors knowedge) and using your data. The cell companies give these out free ususally to avoid having to build out their network where customers are experincing challenges. You cannot restrict who uses the "Cell Spot" its essentially a mini cell tower for anyone within range but goes over your internet data connection. Onme thing to watch out for. Ironically, asd soon as I subsribed to unlimited data, I've never had another month where data useage was high like before - how convenient Comcast. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, for the last 2 months.  The first month, xfinity waived the fee. The following month was an extra $60.  I still can't figure out why.  I've downloaded the app to see what device is using how much and when but it's not telling me comparison usage so I'm not sure what's more than before.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

In my opinion Comcast is scamming the customers with incorrect data usage metering - that being said, good luck ever figuring it out. I just pay the extra now for unlimited 1 box and sleep at night . Not worth the headache - Comcast should be investigated Jmo but I can’t fight the system.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Have spoken to 3 people at Xfinity so far to no avail. My monthly data usage has been around 300GB per month since March 2020. January 2021 - 1400GB, February 2021 - 850GB so far. What is causing this jump? No one can find an explanation. We have watched the same amount of TV movies, used our devices about the same. No one else has been accessing our data. Can't figure out what changed in January and February. Any suggestions?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here