coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

They are taking your money. I have not increased my use 1tb in the past year because I work at home and have not changed habits.

Stay diligent and they will leave you alone. Downgrade netflix to SD if you dont mind thatll permanetally shut em up.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did you ever get this resolved? Its happening to me too and I just keep getting the runaround. I have been charged a ton of money in overages out of nowhere. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@Gus68  I couldn't have said it any better.  I also don't believe Comcast's spin that over 90% of their internet-only customers will never come close to the 1.2TB data cap.  Then why on earth have they set the cap at 1.2TB if they don't expect anyone to hit that cap, and therefore pay the additional fees ?  They set the cap at 1.2TB because they KNOW that MOST of their customers will hit that cap easily each month.  They need to make up all of the lost revenue from their TV service as more than 1 million of their customers in 2020 have cut the cord, at least for TV service.  I pay $95.79 now per month for internet only (Performnace Internet at 100mbs speed), which is already highway robbery.  Now they bring this data cap into play.  My average monthly data usage from July 2020 to November 2020 was 640gb per the data meter on their website.  But they're saying that I used 935gb in December 2020, and so far for January 2021, I'm already over 1TB in just the first 22 days of the month.  I also want to know what devices are using how much data since, if they're going to charge me extra for going over, I need to know what the cause is so I can choose to adjust my usage accordingly.  If you get a lawyer interested, let us know on this thread.     

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I went from averaging about 300 MG monthly to suddenly over 1.2 TB since September. How is this possible when none of our online activity has increased? 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

4 years ago

@BobJ802 

"I went from averaging about 300 MG monthly to suddenly over 1.2 TB since September. How is this possible when none of our online activity has increased?"

Quite easily, for dozens of reasons.  Being home, or watching the same amount of streaming content, or 'your internet habits', can have absolutely nothing to do with your sudden data increase.  It could be as simple as you are using insecure gateway settings, or that your gateway has extremely poor default security settings.

I'd start there.  What kind of equipment? (exact model #)  Xfinity rented?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We had the same issue.  3 years of consistent monthly averages, maxing around 700 over summer months, then jumping up significantly Oct-Dec of 2020 to the point that we hit over 1.2TB in December.  Amazingly, their reporting said we hit over 75% (921GB) by 12/17, but then still only managed to use 300 more by the end of the month.  We hadn't had any usage changes over the past 6 months that would equate to those sorts of numbers.

Needless to say  I spoke with their techs and anyone who I could within Comcast, 0 help.  I then went onto the nextdoor app and polled locally Xfinity users about their usages, and sure enough there were a significant number of people getting the same trouble. So I followed the advice in this forum and filed an FCC complaint regarding the reporting. Talked with a Comcast tech from corporate who gave me the boiler plate about how everything checked out normal, the spike didn't look like an anomaly, and that they had a good audit recently (May 2020, so not necessarily current).

Funny thing is, since I went through all that trouble, all of the sudden my usgae is back down at my normal level...no activity changes on my end.  So magically my problem went away after calling them out.  Take from that what you will....

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We received notification that internet usage has doubled in each of the past two months and we have exceeded our 1.2 TB plan.  I actually was in the hospital for 8 days during that time frame.  Also when I returned home I had forgotten to reconnect my phone to our home wi-fi so my phone was not connected to wi-fi and thus I exceeded the data on my phone plan as well.   So if anything our  data usage should have decreased.  We have checked to see what devices are connected to our wi-fi and there is no unknown devices.  Xfinity data usage graph is not helpful.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

4 years ago

@nathan200 Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your billing & promotional concerns. I very much appreciate your patience and greatly apologize for the delay in our response. I know how important the services are to your home and we want to do all that we can to assist. We always have offers and options, available for our current customers I would love to get you set up with an account review. Can you please reach out through private message (this link will advise how https://comca.st/3c95hSv) with your first and last name, name on the account if different, service address and account number? If you’re having trouble locating this information, you can also reference our world-class MyAccount app to view all of your account details by the simple touch of your fingertips! Please follow the process here to learn how to obtain that information: https://comca.st/39itrIp;

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I too have had abnormal spikes in useage. However when i was getting close to the cap early in the month due to known added traffic i checked and saw that i had 1 Courtesy month avalible. After i hit the max i went and checked on my account and see that the courtesy month has conveniently disapeared and i now have the text "You have been charged $100.00 for the additional data provided over your data usage plan."  I cant seem to get any reps to talk to me about this. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

In the last 6 months, I am averaging 766 GB.  This particular month my usage will be up to almost 1100 GB and I am receiving email warnings about it possibly costing me an extra charge.   Do I get a refund for not using all of my data in the previous months?  Why are you not offering rollover GB for unused bytes? I think it is only fair to offer this enlight that we all are not habitual users of the internet and that there are customers with students needing good WI-Fi for school purposes...

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

4 years ago

@logically wrote:

In the last 6 months, I am averaging 766 GB.  This particular month my usage will be up to almost 1100 GB and I am receiving email warnings about it possibly costing me an extra charge.   Do I get a refund for not using all of my data in the previous months?  Why are you not offering rollover GB for unused bytes? I think it is only fair to offer this enlight that we all are not habitual users of the internet and that there are customers with students needing good WI-Fi for school purposes...

There is no roll over for unused Data at Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

There should be. It is not right to overcharge when usage is high and not credit when usage is low.  You are a utility company and should adjust billing like the power companies and water companies do. Bill based on usage.  You have a monopoly in this area and are abusing the control.  My daughter has unlimited internet at a much lower cost.  It will not affect your bottom line but gain more respect out of you exisiting customers.   

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

@logically, it's interesting that you want billing based on usage, because I think more people in this thread want more like the opposite – unlimited with no metering. It think it would be interesting to see how habits would change if your internet bill was for example, $32/month if you used 102GB, or $157 if you used 1.5TB. All totally made-up numbers of course, but yeah, more like the power bill. I'm sure many people would get better at monitoring their data. (But I think a lot of people don’t want to.)

There are data plans that roll-over. However, the ones I've seen give you lower amounts of data per month than comparable plans that don't roll. I think we both know that if Comcast were to start rolling data, they'd likely do the same to make it all work out about the same "on average". Ie: We roll over data now "woo hoo!" Oh and the new cap is 700GB, but thanks to roll-over data, if you're frugal, you could save up enough to use several TB in a month!  (Like the prices above, 700GB is a pure guess.)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We live in a house of 2 people. One person works from home and has been since April. Our data usage has increased significantly only the past 6 months from 650GB in July to 750 to 800 to 850 back down to 700 in Nov then it went up to 1000GB in Dec. Now Jan we have reached 1200GB. We do not seem to understand why our data is so high... when speaking with an xfinity rep, he was unable to explain nor give us a list of our devices using our data. I am also unable to find our devices on our app. The fact that our data has increased so much since July with no change to our lifestyle is concerning, especially with data caps coming in 2021. Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Being retired and not a gamer the prices do matter to retirees.  Having grandchildren over to do their online classes since my internet is more reliable than Hughes Net is also a contributing factor;  The price that we would be charged for unlimited internet is obscene to what other companies charge.

Spectrum 49.99 no data cap

Which providers have data caps?
Provider Type of service Data cap Monthly data cap Overage fees
AT&TDSL, FiberYes1 TB–Unlimited$10/50 GB
RCNFiberNoUnlimitedNone
XfinityCableYes1.2 TB$10/50 GB
FrontierDSL, FiberNoUnlimitedNone
Google FiberFiberNoUnlimitedNone
CenturyLinkDSL, FiberYes1 TB–UnlimitedNone
WindstreamDSL, FiberNoUnlimitedNone
SpectrumCableNoUnlimitedNone
Cox CommunicationsCableYes1.25 TB$10/50 GB