benichols's profile

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, May 12th, 2021 4:26 PM

Closed

Unstable connection with Netgear CM1150V modem

Over the weekend, I replaced the Xfinity supplied modem with a Netgear CM1150V.  Everything was working fine initially, but every few hours the Netgear drops the internet connection.  This never happened with the Xfinity modem.  The CM1150V has 31 out of 32 channels locked (32 is at zero).  In addition, the Event Log is throwing some crticial errors (see attached).  I used the exact same RG6 cable that worked flawlessly previously so I don't think it's a signal or cable issue.  Any help is appreciated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

Please also post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

See attached Download locked channels part 1

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@EG See attached Download locked part 2

Expert

• 

106K Messages

The upstream power is too high / out of spec That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

Also check the coax cable for any damage such as cuts, nicks, kinks, sharp bends, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two-way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street / pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Good luck with it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thanks for your reply.  There is only a single split from the street to the modem and that was installed by Xfinity.  Since the problem never occurred for 2 years with the Xfinity modem, I think it stands to reason that it's not the cabling.  If there are no other leads I will likely go back to Xfinity and replace the Netgear with Xfinity modem.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

It's a line impairment. The signals don't lie. And a line impairment issue will still be there no matter what modem is used...

If there is nothing that you can do to improve the connection quality then you should get a tech out to investigate as was stated.

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here