A

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 24th, 2022 6:30 AM

Closed

Unknown MoCA devices on my wifi network

I am seeing 4-5 unknown devices connected on my wifi network. I can't get rid of them. I tried to pause them from the xFi app, disconnect the router, and forget those devices. But the devices connect right back after the router restarts. My own devices cannot connect, they show connected and unpaused on the app but show device paused on the device itself. Tried customer careany times today, the issue not resolved. 

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

2 years ago

MoCA is basically ethernet over coaxial.  A lot of cable routers & Xfinity gateways support it.  In my last place a different provider used MoCA to connect my router to my cable box.  I wanted the router in my office with my computer and the cable box in the living room and my unit wasn't wired for ethernet.

Before the latest 2.5Gb revision MoCA didn't have any security other than physical security.  The unknown devices you're seeing are likely from a neighbor's network.  The signal is traveling out of their home over their cable line and into yours.  You probably need a MoCA point of entry (PoE) filter on the cable line to block MoCA signals from leaving or entering your cable wiring.  They're pretty cheap.  You can get one on Amazon for <$10.  If you're using MoCA you'll want the filter where the cable comes in.  If not just sticking one on the back of the gateway will suffice.

I'm not sure what's going on with your devices.  Have you tried performing a factory reset on the router?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

2 years ago

Hey, @aksalive! Thanks for posting on our community forums. I'm sorry to hear about the unauthorized MoCa devices and the connection issues you have been experiencing. I'd like to help turn this experience around. The information provided by zandor60657 is correct. But we can also review the account on our end to make sure we cover all of our bases. Could you please send our team a private message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct Message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

@XfinityDilary​ so why is the first thing is to send a private message. Is that so comcast can tell them to buy a MoCA filter from Amazon. What a joke. 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

2 years ago

The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old dead thread is now being closed.................

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here