A

Thursday, October 19th, 2023 1:09 AM

Closed

Unknown device connect to my Internet through MoCA?

I've seen a device connected to my Internet through a connection type called MoCA, it seems like some type of wired connection, which does make me feel like someone physically connect to my internet. This is an internet security issue. Does anyone or the customer service have solution on how to get rid of it and prevent this from happening in the future?

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

MoCA is ethernet over coaxial cable.  It's often used to connect cable TV boxes to a gateway/router to give the TV box internet access so you can use the TV box for stuff like on demand streaming without needing WiFi or and ethernet connection to the router/gateway.

You can disable MoCA on Xfinity gateways and usually on 3rd party devices that support it if you're not using it.  The other option is to just install a MoCA PoE filter aka MoCA point of entry filter.  Personally I prefer the PoE filter option.  You can just screw a filter onto the back of your modem/gateway between the modem/gateway and the coaxial cable.  There's always that chance that something gets reset and your gateway/router turns MoCA back on.  Using a filter is a hardware solution with no configuration options and ensures that if that happens there will be no effect and MoCA will still be blocked.  If you're using MoCA for a TV box or whatever you can just put the filter on the outside line before the first splitter.  From what I hear customers can pick up a MoCA PoE filter at no charge from a Comcast store.  If that's too much hassle they're ~$10 on Amazon.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here