U

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2024 3:14 AM

Closed

Unable to ssh to remote computer

I have a remote server (operated by my web hosting service) that I've successfully accessed without issues until today (July 1).  I can't access the server for mail, ssh to it, nor even ping it.  This is the case when I try it from multiple computers, so it doesn't seem to be from the ssh client end.  I contacted the admin of the server and there are no issues on that end, and I've confirmed the ssh server service is working via an online service.  When I turn off and on my Xfinity modem, I sometimes get a few minutes where I can access my remote server, but then the ping Destination Port Unreachable errors return.  I can't find a setting on the modem that would limit access to ssh.  Does Xfinity's network limit certain IPs?  Is there a block on my account?  Any insight as to how I should proceed to troubleshoot would be much obliged.  Thanks!

Update July 2, 2024:  The issue was xFi Advanced Security.  After I turned Advanced Security off via the app, I'm able to access my remote server again.  I submitted the URL to my server via http://spa.xfinity.com/ to request that the server be unblocked.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

3 months ago

user_qswukb Thank you so much for your post and update! That would be the correct course of action to request your URL to be unblocked. Our online security team will take it from there! 

2 Messages

Thanks for the reply!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

You're welcome! @user_qswukb, please do not hesitate to reach out for any other question or concerns. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

12 Messages

@XfinityAmandaB​ 

Perhaps you read this. The solution to disable "advanced security" does not work for me, both ssh or ping to a remote server does not work.

I have by now three times requested that ssh be unblocked, the first time I got at least an answer that

the request would be looked at "within 3 business days", the second and third time my request was simply ignored. I am not the only xfinity customer who encounters these problems.

Please act because my work depends on it !!!

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

@user_3kzzhb Thank you for reaching out. I am closing this thread since the original poster got it resolved. Please, create your own post so that we can work on getting your access to that site. Thank you!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

@user_qswukb 

Please update your topic here when and if there is a resolution. Thank you.

12 Messages

1 month ago

Regrettably this did not help for me. I have turned off "advanced security: but still cannot ssh (not even pong) to a remote computer. Trying  to reach our to xfinity through

http://spa.xfinity.com/ was not helpful: I tried twice and got no reaction. This is very annoying because I need that functionality for my work

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here