janash777's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Monday, June 17th, 2024 3:13 AM

Closed

Unable to Connect HP Printer to New Gateway XB8-T

Less than a month ago, I decided to rent a Gateway device instead of buying my own modem/router device which I had been doing for years. Three days ago, a technician came to investigate intermittent internet connection issues that had been going on for THREE months. Along with fixing a line issue, he changed out the Gateway device. I have no clue why since the issue predated the device, but I guess he was covering all his bases. My HP Envy 4500 series printer no longer connects wirelessly to the network. I've spent hours on the phone with tech support with no resolution. Any ideas? I have no idea which model I had for a couple of weeks before this one. I wish I had logged the model of the old one, so I could exchange this new one for the old model.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 months ago

It may be one of two things, or both.

1. The two WiFi bands SSID's have been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined SSID's.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 names and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi 

Associate the printer with the new 2.4 (broadcast name) and password.

2. AFAIK the XB8 defaults to WPA3-Personal security. HP printers use WPA2. Go into the Xfi app, clicked on connect, then click on "your network ", the "view or edit wifi settings". Change "security settings" to WPA2.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-security-mode 

It can't  be done via gateway (10.0.0.1) itself, but via the XFinity App  (although it is a bit hidden): Go to XFinity App, select 'connect' on bottom, select the network name, 'view/edit WiFi Settings', change security mode to WPA2.   (WPA3-transition doesn't work either). 

Go to the Xfinity app 

Select "connect" at bottom of screen

Select "View or edit WiFi settings"

If you have split the bands by assigning a separate ID and Password for each band, then select the 2.4 GHz WiFi band 

Go to the Security Mode box where if may say "WPA3 or WPA3-Personal-Transition" and change to "WPA2"

Then "Save"

Then redo the HP configuration wizard - it hopefully will now work.

Good luck !

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thanks. As part of a misunderstanding, tech support split the bands last night. That didn't help the printer connection issue, but I imagine the other option will.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

janash777 I wanted to circle back on this. I see that splitting the bands didn't resolve the issue, but you were going to try the additional tips provided by @EG. Have you given this a try? Any updates so far? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

@XfinityVianney@EG Hi, I had the same exact issue. I tried everything, and the only thing that worked was the second recommendation (changing the security mode to WPA2). Works perfectly now, thank you!

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 days ago

Quite welcome @user_jstron !

The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old thread is now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here