R

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 27th, 2022 2:09 AM

Closed

Trying to get my router to allow 802.11b

I recently dug up my old Wii and im trying to connect to the internet. It shows that the Wii requires 802.11b frequency I believe. Is there anyway to allow my router to allow 802.11b

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

That's going to depend on what you got for a radio in your router and the firmware running on it.  We can't guess your equipment.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@flatlander3​ I have the tg3482g router from xfinity. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Page 9:  https://usermanual.wiki/ARRIS/TG3482P2-3862959.pdf   At one time, it was possible.  This is the telephony model, but should have the same radio hardware.  I'm not sure about your current firmware load.  You can try logging into the gateway locally http://10.0.0.1  admin/password (unless you changed it).  That one might be old enough (2018) that you can change WiFi modes there.  Xfinity Marketing calls it an XB6.

Possibly from the "phone app" too, although that is less clear and Xfinity doesn't like to publish manuals -- more info:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi  .  I'd guess likely not from the phone app.

Claims:

The TG3482 provides:
Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n/ac connectivity

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@flatlander3​ it won't let me adjust any settings for the router, it only supports 802.11 g/n, according to the setting. now another question if i were to add a separate router would i technically be able to run 802.11b frequency if the router has the ability to which most on the market do? or would i have to swap the modem as well? 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

Sure.  I saw a discontinued Ethernet router at Menards for $20.  You gotta look at the manual real quick to see if the Ethernet router can be setup as an access point, but many/most can.  Should tell you what 802.11 version it speaks on the box. Maybe features too.  A straight Access Point will work too.  You might be able to find a really cheap 802.11b one these days.

Easy way is to disable the Ethernet Router's DHCP server, and set DHCP forwarding to your gateway (10.0.0.1).  That way requests that connect to the WiFi on your 802.11b router, are handled by your gateway and everything ends up on the same network.  Set a different WiFi SSID for it of course so you can tell what you are connecting to. 

Pity about the firmware.  Usually there's a b/g/n option, or a b/g option.  That must have been Xfinity crippled.

I'd add: even if the Ethernet router can't be setup as an access point, you can still use it.  It's just that it will have it's own network inside the other network (double nat).  Things on that can still see the outside network and internet, but things on your gateway network can't see devices hooked up to the WiFi network on the 802.11b router. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 years ago

FWIW. Here is another popular and credible source that indicates that the device is capable of that standard;

https://www.dslreports.com/hardware/ARRIS-TG3482-h4594 

But with current firmware, who knows as others have stated. Best of luck with it !

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@EG​ the link does show it supports it but it will not let me adjust it, xfinity controls that section and there's nothing i can do. Thank you for the info 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Rtxluiss 

Sorry to hear that..... Crippled ISP supplied firmware loads...... Uggggggggg.........

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

2 years ago

You possibly can get a cheap usb wireless adapter that can be configured as an access point, that has that b band, windows can share a connection, possibly connect to it that way,…

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Got a scrap pile or one of your friends have one?  The best router is one collecting dust in someone's used junk pile.  It's sure to speak 802.11b.  No shame in retasking stuff.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here