U

Thursday, May 23rd, 2024 4:51 PM

Time to Upgrade Modem or Not?

I currently have the TP-Link TC-7620 DOCSIS 3.0 (16x4) with max speed of 686 Mbps.  Receiving emails that Xfinity internet is now giving speeds up to 1.2 Gbps in my area.  When I do a speed test the result is 494 Mbps.  Do people here recommend a modem upgrade yet?  It looks like the upgrade is not yet necessary since the download speed is still below my modem's max of 686 Mbps.  Xfinity emails state "Your current internet equipment is not able to deliver these new speeds."  In other words, if Xfinity was actually hitting 1.2 Gbps it makes sense that I would be missing out on this due to my modem's max speed being below 1.2.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

24 days ago

... TP-Link TC-7620 DOCSIS 3.0 (16x4) with max speed of 686 Mbps ...

The manufacturer may claim that the device is capable of 686 Mbps, but such claims are typically theoretical or lab-bench speeds that you'll never see in the real world. Comcast rates the TC-7620 for use with plan speeds "Up to 370 Mbps". See the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024.05.17%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf, but this changes from time to time). Using devices on Internet speed tiers for which they are not approved tends to produce unexpected results, often speeds well below the ones you are paying for. 

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for your plan speed.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

22 days ago

Hello and welcome to Comcast! Thank you so much for reaching out to us regarding your Internet speeds concerns. You are in the right place, and we are happy to take a look at your account. If there was a speed increase in the area, you would need to get a compatible modem that will work with the higher internet speeds. 

3 Messages

21 days ago

After doing more research it appears that the Arris S33 3.1 DOCSIS modem is a popular choice.  The S33 has 2 different versions, v1 and v2.  Do both versions work equally well with Xfinity internet?

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

Yes, both versions of the Arris S33 DOCSIS 3.1 modem (v1 and v2) are compatible with Xfinity Internet. The primary differences between the two versions might include minor hardware revisions or firmware updates, but these do not affect the modem's overall compatibility or performance with Xfinity.

Here are some key points to ensure optimal performance with Xfinity Internet:

1. Compatibility: Both versions are designed to support DOCSIS 3.1, which is necessary for achieving the highest speeds available from Xfinity.
  2. Firmware: Ensure that your modem's firmware is up-to-date. Xfinity typically pushes firmware updates automatically to modems, but checking periodically for updates is a good practice.
  3. Provisioning: After connecting your modem, you’ll need to activate it with Xfinity. This process involves either calling Xfinity customer support or using the online activation portal.
  4. Speed Tiers: The S33 supports high-speed tiers offered by Xfinity, including Gigabit plans. Ensure that your internet plan matches the capabilities of the modem to get the best performance.

For specific details on any differences between v1 and v2, such as hardware enhancements or bug fixes, you might want to check Arris' official documentation or contact their support for the most accurate information. However, from a compatibility standpoint, both versions will work effectively with Xfinity.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here