KC-Fan's profile

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Friday, February 18th, 2022 5:39 PM

Closed

"This Connection is Not Private" Error

@XfinityJamesC I've had no issue with accessing certain websites known to be safe for work or personal (.org, .edu, etc) for 7 plus years. Once I upgraded to a Xfinity approved Modem and separate WiFi Router, no one in our household can visit sites. We receive a "This Connection is Not Private" and even when we click "visit anyway" it goes to a black Xfinity page that says to download the mobile app.

This error occurs on all devices (MacBook, iPad) and on Chrome or Safari browsers. If we switch to mobile wifi, we are able to access the sites. Attempted support but they could not address the issue. This is not a device related problem but an Xfinity one. Looking for any help by any users who have gone through this. Also, clearing cache's and cookies, seems to temporarily fix the issue, but it is back several hours later. Very frustrating.  Also, clicking on "always trust" the certificate helps temporarily too.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

3 years ago

If you are connected to "xfinitywifi" then you are not connected to your private In Home wifi network. You are connecting to the public Xfinity Wifi hotspots that Xfinity offers its internet customers to use when outside of the home for free. Those are not secure and private since they are open to the general public. Please make sure you are connecting to your in-home wifi networks while at home to get the most secure and private connection, not to mention a more reliable and fast connection. 

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

@XfinityDaryl​ We are connected to our home's wifi network. We use Xfinity for our internet service.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

Have you named your in-home wifi network? When connecting your device, it should be connecting to that network name. If it is connecting to the xfinitywifi, then the device is connecting to the public hotspots. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Yes. The Modem connects directly to the WiFi Router, and the network name and password is unique. We do not use "xfinitywifi" at all as a hotspot or to connect to the Internet.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@KC-Fan

By any chance, do you have the Xfinity App? If you do not, it is available for free from the Apple store and Google Play. If you can get on the app, could you please open it up, and click the bottom tab that says "connect?" When you do, click on the first arrow that says 2 Wifi networks, or My network. After clicking that you, you will be taken to the "My Network" page. Go ahead and click on the "pen" icon in the upper right. Next you will be taken to a page that shows your network name/names and password/s. Make sure you have the WPA2 selected, and not "open."

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Ok. I will try this and report back. Since the Xfinity App only works on iPads and phones, do you recommend that I disable Cellular Service on the device before doing this to ensure that it only connects via WiFi?

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

This error can be solved through the settings in your individual Router. I was able to resolve by updating the firmware on my router and then manually setting the DNS Settings. Hope this helps others.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@KC-Fan​ I am having the same issue. Can you expand on how or what you changed your DNS settings to? Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here