Y

Monday, August 19th, 2024 4:02 AM

The internet speed is way slower than my Plan

Hi,

I activated my 2000Mbps plan yesterday, which is expected to support the upload speed up to 300Mbps.

I've been tested it multiple times yesterday and today. The download speed is at the range of 100Mbps-600Mbps, while the upload speed is only 6Mbps consistently.

Note that I also use an ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly to the Modem and tested it wiredly.

I am using the Netgear CM2000 Modem which supports up to 2.33Gbps speed, so it should not be the bottle net.

I used to use the Comcast business "Business Internet 100" plan and it has not been terminated yet (it's out of custom service's working hours). I am afraid that it has something to do with it. How can I resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

24 days ago

... I am using the Netgear CM2000 ...

There are only a few retail devices on their "Next Gen Speed Tier" list that are compatible with the new higher upload speeds, and the CM2000 is not among them. See:

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Compatible" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds.

You need one of Comcast's newer rental gateways (XB6, XB7, XB8) or one of the few retail devices shown in the "Next Gen Speed Tier" group with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF.  Also see the Reddit link, which lists the approved devices as well as other requirements for faster upload speeds.

Comcast could make all of this information much clearer and easier to find, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

4 Messages

Thanks for the information! I just placed an order of CM3000 at Amazon. I will reply back how it goes.

Does it mean that all the non-Next-Gen-Speed-Tier models are not even "compatible" at all?

Official Employee

• 

850 Messages

ymyfish That is good to hear as we will be awaiting your reply. Here is a link https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/ that will go over the current approved modems. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

@BruceW @XfinityShawn here's the update: I got my CM3000 and the upload speed bumped up to ~300Mbps. But the download speed was still around 6-800Mbps.

A Comcast Xfinity technician came today and concluded that the infrastructure around my home is not ready for the 2Gbps plan yet and suggested me to downgrade it to 1Gbps for now.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

771 Messages

ymyfish Thank you so much for letting us know how everyting turned out with your appointment. Please let us knwo if you have any other concerns we can help with! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

25 days ago

Hello, ymyfish! Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums! I apologize to hear of the issues you are running into when it comes to your internet speed. Do you know what type of ethernet cable you are using? is it Cat5e or Cat6? Have you tried switching out this cable? Also, do you know what speed your network card supports on your laptop?

4 Messages

I am not sure how to tell the difference between cat5e and cat6. But I used the ethernet cable came with my modern.

And I used the newest macbook pro to test it, so I believe the network card shouldn't be the bottle net.

One thing to mention is that I used a 1Gbps usb adapter to connect the ethernet cable to may macbook. I know it is slower than 2Gbps, but the speed is way lower than 1Gbps so it is not the bottleneck either.

There were a Comcast team fixing some infrastructure near my home today, and after that was done, the speed increased to about 600-700Mbps download and 40Mbps upload. But still, not as fast as it should be. So I suspect that there are still some issue.

I made an appointment with Comcast this Friday afternoon and a technician will come and check.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

23 days ago

... Does it mean that all the non-Next-Gen-Speed-Tier models are not even "compatible" at all?

As stated, all the devices listed in the PDF are "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", but only the few Next-Gen models are compatible with the new higher upload speeds.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

19 days ago

... I used a 1Gbps usb adapter to connect the ethernet cable ...

All 1 Gbps Ethernet devices are limited to a top speed of about .94 Gbps (940 Mbps), so that adapter will limit your top speed to less than half of the 2 Gbps speed you mentioned as your subscribed speed. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here