SOMMESE's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, February 13th, 2023 10:04 PM

Closed

THE GATEWAY / ARRIS XB6-T WIRELESS MODEM, ROUTER, WITH VOIP TELEPHONE JACKS MAKES NOISE WHEN IT COLLECTS TOO MUCH DUST AT THE BOTTOM

MANY OF YOU HAVE THE XFINITY, COMCAST, ARRIS XB6-T WIRELESS MODEM, ROUTER SINCE 2018.  This unit replaced the MOTOROLA TOWER which we all liked because it looked powerful and had lots of lights. The XB6-T with the odd shaped rectangle narrower on top and wide at bottom black or white is a fine product. At times you will hear a louder than usual HUMMING NOISE. This is the COOLING FAN. After a year or so in your house it will begin to COLLECT LOTS OF DUST. That is causing the louder than usual HUMMING NOISE. You have 2 options. Call COMCAST/XFINITY and clean and replace it. Or try to VACUUM IT at the bottom. I took option #2. It was getting very warm. Late a night when I was not using the internet I unplugged the power cord at the unit. I then carefully vacuumed the botton with a small low powered vacuum that I use for my sensitive electronics equipment. It is strong but not overly powerful. I vacuumed the bottom. I then re-attached the power cord. The noise stopped. The unit ran much cooler. It was NOT IMMEDIATE. It took another 15 minutes for the unit to cool down and run quiet.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

1 year ago

Hi there and welcome to Comcast. Thank you so much for reaching out to us about the loud noises the modem is making. I am sorry to hear that your phone service is being affected. Now we do not recommend opening our modem to vacuum it. If the modem is getting hot, we recommend exchanging it for a new one. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here