L

Monday, February 19th, 2024 9:42 PM

Closed

Swapping out personal modem, that is already consigned on Xfinity plan, with a new personal modem.

I have an older modem that has its MAC address already registered to Xfinity / Comcast.  The Modem needs to be replaced with a newer personal modem.  What am I supposed to do to swap out the old modem and register the new modem?  I do not want to change my existing plan.  Who do I contact?  What is the registration process?  How do I unregister the older modem?  Thank you.

New modem will be an ARRIS Surfboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1

Contributor

• 

168 Messages

7 months ago

3 Messages

Thank you for your response.  My current modem is not an Xfinity modem and is an additional modem registered to my service.  I cannot use these instructions because they pertain to an Xfinity xfi modem.

Contributor

• 

168 Messages

@LombardAl - here is a better article to activate your own CM - https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation

3 Messages

Thank you for your additional response.  How does this impact my existing plan?  We are diamond status and long time subscribers.  I have seen in other posts where the existing plan and status can be reset.  I do not expect this to happen and just trying to be prudent on approaching this. Thank you.

Contributor

• 

168 Messages

@LombardAl - your existing Internet Tier should not be changed, your Diamond status should not be impacted, as you are just replacing your BYOD CM on the same Account.

Official Employee

• 

781 Messages

LombardAl Thanks so much for reaching out to us with your questions! user_noname provided great links for activating your modem, as for how changing a Xfinity Gateway modem out for a modem you own will affect your account, if you are a Xfi Complete member you would no longer qualify as you must have a Xfinity Gateway modem. Xfi Complete includes your modem rental ($15 value) and unlimited data ($30 value). I would be happy to review your account to let you know about any changes that may occur. Can I ask that you reach out privately, so we can cover the details of your account. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

7 months ago

@LombardAl 

Connect it to the coax line / outlet and power it up. Let it fully sync up with the system. Check that the front or the top panel indicator light(s) is / are steadily lit. 

Then connect a computer to it and open up a browser. You *may* see their *Walled Garden* modem self-registration page. If so, follow the screen prompts. Have your mobile telephone number, your Xfinity username and password, or the account number and telephone number associated with your Comcast account handy.

If not, try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their self-install device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you, you can call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / CM / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

You don't have to have the prior modem removed from your account unless you plan to sell or gift it to someone else.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here